Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 RSSS with a factory 396. It has been bored out to 60 over. I have a chance to buy a 396 engine that was pulled out of a camaro. It is in great shape but will need to be bored from 10 over to 20 over. It's in pieces right now and the guy wants $1000

engine code: 3999290
head code: 3872702
crankshaft code: 3804816
It looks to be a truck block with older heads on it.

396 BigBlock 2 Bolt Main Block (cast iron)
Cast Crank (polished)
3/8 Connecting Rods with SPS performance bolts
Oval port heads
Hydraulic Comp Cam, retainers & springs
Double Roller timing chain
High Pressure Oil pump with hardened drive and pickup
Cast intake manifolds
Engine is currently dissasembled and cleaned
Comes complete with everything from pan to carb
Engine is rated for 375hp

My question is for you is this worth it to put in my garage in case I need it someday or what?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Where did you come up with the 375hp rating? Is there a engine suffix code stamped on the pass side of the block by the head?
If it's an LS-3 ('72) it's closer to a 270HP 396 motor.

Are you saying that it looks to be a truck block because it says "truck" on it?

The heads are '65-'66 closed chambered oval ports with about a 98cc chamber.

We'll see what the others have to say, but if you are starting out at $1,000 before all the machine work that will need to be done, that's getting a bit spendy for what you will have when you are done. At least in my area, 396 rebuilders are a dime a dozen and you're not even getting good exhaust or an intake. With the new pistons (or pitons....as Jim would say LOL) you are better off to get something a lot cheaper, or spend $1,000 and get a lot more for your money!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Block is a 72 402 block used in cars and trucks (my 290 block had the HI PERF PASS on the rear, with a truck assembly suffix). Nothing real special.

Are you looking for a spare because you're worried that the original is .060? I can't recall the max overbore for a 396 BB right off the top of my head, but they are not pretty well maxed out at .060 like a small block.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
If the block is a '65, then the sky's the limit with over-bores, but later than that and it get's iffy when going over .060. And I'm with others here; too much money for what you'd get.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Don't buy it. It's not worth that much.

3999290....396.......68-69...2 or 4 bolt, Truck
3999290....402.......70-72...2 or 4 bolt, Truck
3999290....402.......72......2 or 4 bolt, Passenger

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
""UPDATE"" 396 Engine for a spare

I talked to the guy again and he gave me the engine code also. This number does not make sense to me at all but he assures me it's clear as day.

T1007KX

and

engine code: 3999290
head code: 3872702
crankshaft code: 3804816

Not sure what the KX is. He says that the way it was built up with the headers, manifold and carb, all not included it was around 375 HP. And yes I'm just looking for a block to put in my garagejust in case 10 years??? from now I need an engine at least I'll have a 396.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
One of you missed another letter in the assembly stamp.

Being a 72 block, it has either a "C" or "T" in front of the "KX"

I'd bet it is this one.

TKX 1972 Truck 402 210 400 L-47 20, 30

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Re: ""UPDATE"" 396 Engine for a spare

And yes I'm just looking for a block to put in my garagejust in case 10 years??? from now I need an engine at least I'll have a 396.
Another thought is to just do nothing and get a motor down the road if something happens to yours. There will not be a shortage of these type 396's in the near future. Just look at how many there are after being made 35-40 yrs. ago.

One last thing....unless you have a dyno slip, you usually want to take a motor that someone is selling and knock about 50-100hp off what they say it has for HP. A lot of guys will guess at HP just because of how long the burnout is. I can't believe how many 500hp street cars are out there.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys. I told the guy that I'll pass on it. I think I'll keep my eye out for a date correct 396 for my 68.

It's been a while since I've been on here but the responses are still just informative.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I told the guy that I'll pass on it. I think I'll keep my eye out for a date correct 396 for my 68.

It's been a while since I've been on here but the responses are still just informative.
NORTHERN FRIEND...have you checked with "David T's"? He might have a line on one, but he ain't cheap, but he has a lot of contacts out there.

How's the old Oilers doin' these days?

cap68

1 - 12 of 12 Posts