Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm looking for suggestions hope someone can help I have a 396 block (272)
Rectangular port heads (840) (casting #s)
Aluminum hi rise intake (163)
Holley carb (4346)
all are original parts what i need is a good cam, piston, crank combination so I can run what looks like a 396/375 HP motor on 92 pump gas if anyone knows the right recipe please let me know
Thanks Gary :confused:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Gary, I'll try to get this started. I am assuming you are looking at a street motor. If this is the case, I think you have a darn good start. As far as pistons go, I would consider a hyperutectic (sp) piston that would give you a final compression ratio of no more than 9.5. With this and iron heads, you should be safe with pump gas. A 9.0 ratio would be better. As for teh crank, I am using a cast steel crank from SCAT in my 454. I got it from Northern Auto Parts at a great price and I ma very happy with it. A cam is a big choice thing. I am not a cam guru so I will keep my comment simple. I would look for something that will work in teh 2000 to 6000 RPM range. I prefer hydralic on the street but a solid cam is also good, if you don't mind adjusting the valves. Like I said, this is a start. AS for rods, stock rebuilt rods with ARP bolts should work well with no problem. I use Clevitte bearings, but Federal/Mogul and others are also good. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Codi thanks
Yes my primary concern is that the car is reliable being that its going into a convertible and I have no intentions of racing it.
What I don't know is how do I adjust the compression ratio (cutting the piston tops?) and what effect that will have on the parts I need to have on the car to make it look like a 396/375HP motor will a lower compression motor flood from the amount of fuel this carb will deliever? ETC. I am a mechanic but... a forklift mechanic so what I deal with is propane not gas
Thanks Gary

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Please consider the good old CC 282S for a decent, although not max for it's size, solid cam! I bet you will like it...

As alway's just my humble opinion.. pdq67

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Your safest bet is to contact the piston manufacturer and provide the engine info to them. Their tech staff will advise you as to what piston to use. Compression ratio has to many variables to consider, deck height, piston dome/dish, head gasket compressed thickness, combustion chamber size, etc. The piston techs will ask these questions so be prepared. As far as looks, just get a color picture of any 396/375 and match the chrome parts, manifold, paint, etc.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
They make a 9.5 to 1 replacement for the L-72 ( same motor just bigger bore) I don't know if they do for the 396. You could use the 350hp piston with your heads it will be real close to 9.5 if everything isn't set a min specs. For a cam stay on the real mild side you have a lot of head for a 396 and it is real easy to make it a pain to live with.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
No low speed torque. The stock cam is fine even with less compression but don't get carried away unless you have a manual trans or a loose convertor and a lot of gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts