Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A guy is trying to sell me his motor and these are the numbers and info he gave me.

"Heres the block #'s F-165, To7I5IG, L218500, crank #
6223. The block is already bored .030 over so you get:a block, crank , rods, pistons, timing cover, still assembled."

Is that a good deal. I want to turn it into a 427 but not sure how. I understand it need to bore the block to .060 so how can I tell if this block is able to get bored that far. Also can I use the same crank and rods? Or should I keep it a 396?

Also what generation is a 78 454 BB. I dont have any numbers on the motor yet but will soon. I can pick it up for $650.

I just really cant decide what to put in my camaro.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
To make a 427 you will need to put the crank and rods out of the 396 into a 454 block and buy 427 pistons.
4.25" bore combined with a 3.76" stroke = 427

·
Registered
95 Posts
That IG code is a 1965 pass car 396/325hp....powerglide motor.....good base engine to build from....you need a 4.25 bore to get 427cid......some of the early blocks will take the overbore...only way to be sure is with a sonic test. You could build a nice engine from that starting point even without the large overbore....looks like you will need some cylinder heads..lots of choices there...$450 is avery fair price for that shortblock with the parts...6223 is the steel crank...be careful with the overbore....the thinner the walls the more heat becomes a factor...thicker cylinder walls=cooler motor....find a good local machine shop who can check all the parts for you...build a nice 400plus hp 396 and call it a day..

wilma

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
A stock 325hp/396 w/ a good cam and a decent set of headers will get you to right at 390 to almost 400 hp using CC's good old 280 Magnum cam for starters!

The key to what you want to do is to make darn sure the CR. is right at 10 to 1 so a cam like I mentioned can work properly. imho..

And I would do no more than bowl blend and dingle-berry casting flash port cleanup the heads along w/ a good valve job and .020" thick shim headgaskets too.

pdq67

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Two books I recommend are "How To Hotrod Big-Block Chevys " by Bill Fisher and Bob Waar ISBN 0-912656-04-2 and " Big-Block Chevy Performance " by Dave Emanuel ISBN 1-55788-216-9. I have been playing with big block Chevys since they displaced 409 cubic inches. I was amazed with how much Bill Fisher knew about them after I had spent about thirty thousand 1960 dollars to learn what worked and what didn t. I was even more amazed that all of this hard earned information was available for only $10 (1960 dollars).

I recommend bending wrenches as an invaluable source of pleasure and education, but I have also learned it is cheaper to learn from other s mistakes. I have read Smokey Yunik s books, I read what Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins had to say in his books, and I learned what John Lingenfelter had to say; now if Warren Johnson would only confide in me what he knows.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
In order to run any decent cam and have good power, you will need to go with some closed chamber heads for compression. The 049's are all over the place with chamber size, but usually on the larger end, such as 122cc. Hopefully, you already have closed chamber pistons.

www.mortec.com would be a good place to look at all the closed chamber heads available. They are easy to tell from the open chamber heads.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd get the 454, cubes rule. Sell the peanut port heads to an RV guy for $50, put that toward the 049's. Why spend a little less to get a good bit less hp and a smaller engine that doesn't breathe as well? Bigger bores unshroud the valves which is a big part of the difference. Unless you have a car that came with a 396 and you insist on having the correct engine in it, leave the 396's to the restorers. My .02

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Two books I recommend are "How To Hotrod Big-Block Chevys " by Bill Fisher and Bob Waar ISBN 0-912656-04-2 and " Big-Block Chevy Performance " by Dave Emanuel ISBN 1-55788-216-9. I have been playing with big block Chevys since they displaced 409 cubic inches. I was amazed with how much Bill Fisher knew about them after I had spent about thirty thousand 1960 dollars to learn what worked and what didn t. I was even more amazed that all of this hard earned information was available for only $10 (1960 dollars).

I recommend bending wrenches as an invaluable source of pleasure and education, but I have also learned it is cheaper to learn from other s mistakes. I have read Smokey Yunik s books, I read what Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins had to say in his books, and I learned what John Lingenfelter had to say; now if Warren Johnson would only confide in me what he knows.

Larger Dave
Warren is mum. Its like family secrets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.