Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this before...been reading lots of articles about this setup..seems interesting..any thought or real world feedback is welcome...thanks..!

wilma

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I am building one right now. I would like to hear some "real world" experiance myself. Like which stroker kit did you use, heads, cam and dyno #'s. Maybe even 1/4mi times. thanks

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
This is as popular as the high performance 305 stroker engine using the crank destined for a 383 in a 305 bloc. And this is for the same reason, the 396 bore is too small to even unshroud the stock valves, which also prevents any larger deeper valves from ever being used.

There are just to many stock 454 blocks around to consider using a 396 block for anything other than a numbers matching restoration. One of the reasons a 396 block is so rare now is that everyone who has had an option of using the bigger bore 427-454-502 blocks has turned their old 396 blocks into Kia's and Toyotas. Unless you have a '65 or '66 block it can not be safely bored out to 427 dimensions.

Don’t want to start a war or hurt anyones feelings, but that is the way it is in the "real world".

Larger Dave
Proud owner of a 4.600" bore 4.375" stroke standard deck BBC with 396 decals on it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dave,
I think he is speaking of a 396 SBC stroker kit.

I have been contemplating this set up but the 2 shops that I talked to also said that I would need a small base circle cam and alot of clearancing around the pan rail and bottom of the cylinders that you run the risk of breaking into a water jacket. I don't want to ruin a good 010/020 block.
If the work was worth the HP gain VS $$$ I might reconsider but the rotating assymblies are just under $2000.00 using budget forgings (5140 rods, Probe pistons, 4130 crank).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I mean the BB variety...been reading some interesting articles about this and it seemed to make sense...I understand the shrouding issue with the valves...but the block could be notched a little at the top of the bores...may still go with a 454 block and my 396 parts for a 427...just wanted to explore some options...here is the article from Classic Trucks that started me thinking...

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=1047065182

wilma

1 - 5 of 5 Posts