Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently decided to sell some of my not so needed items . i have a 3963512 4 bolt main, been decked before i got it, block dated j.28.8. this block was never bored to 4.25, it is a 396 bore(4.09). yes i understand how to measure cylinder bores, and NO IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 SLEEVES IN IT! I know it is rare, i will look after all shipping to lower 48 states. now what is it worth

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
That is a rare one. Too bad it had been decked....I'd love to know the engine code on that one.
If you knew why it was made the way it was, like for some special motor, it might be quite valuable, but as a 512 block, it's not all that valuable. I think it's too early for a Camaro, so it would have been either a Vette, or big Chevy block. Normally, the 4 bolt was used for 425hp and 430hp motors, but it this case, who knows??

I'd guess $1000 for the bare block. If it still has the crank, and you have reason to believe it might be the original, what is the number?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, no crank,but a T is still visible on the deck and if someone to xray the pad i would bet it was a CE block.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I don't think there would be a T on it if it were a CE block. CE blocks did not have the assembly plant or engine code stamped on them. According to Chevy by the Numbers, that's an early 512 casting, regardless of bore. I still tend to think it was not a production block. Since that was the first block to get the relief for the 454 crank maybe went to a race team, or was a production mule of some sort. I guess it could have been a factory mistake, someone using the wrong core, but I doubt it.

Just out of curiosity, where is the casting number located? What is the size of the center hole on the side of the block, down by the oil filter? (pinky sized, or thumb sized?) Front hole? (pencil sized, or pinky sized?)

·
Registered
566 Posts
That is an odd bore for a 512 block, guess strange things happen. Are there any numbers on the pad over oil filter?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cast no. is on back of block, usual location,hi perf on opposite side of cast no. cast date lower passenger side by frost plug. holes by oil filter threaded but could tell you better tommorrow, the size. chevy by the numbers claims 66 through 69 427s were cast as 396s,then bored to 427 . i dont recall seeing any numbers near oil pump area pad.i will check tommorrow

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'll look at my CBN when I get to work....I don't remember seeing that. Makes no sense though, as why would you have two casting numbers for 396 vs 427, if the cores were the same? I think the two blocks are identical except for the bore.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If everything is as you say, its definitely interesting to a collector. Having been decked will most likely hurt the value but Ebay is a great place to determine market value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hihorse and unreal, your feedback is great. i think trying to convince someone on ebay that i have a 512 block with a factory 396 bore will be a tough chore. im hoping someone will step up and say they have one or info leading to '' yes its happened before''. THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hihorse and unreal, your feedback is great. i think trying to convince someone on ebay that i have a 512 block with a factory 396 bore will be a tough chore. im hoping someone will step up and say they have one or info leading to '' yes its happened before''. THANKS GUYS!
I have one of these blocks too dated J 28 8 standard bore

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Can you make out the ID pad, or was your block decked too?
i have recently decided to sell some of my not so needed items . i have a 3963512 4 bolt main, been decked before i got it, block dated j.28.8. this block was never bored to 4.25, it is a 396 bore(4.09). yes i understand how to measure cylinder bores, and NO IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 SLEEVES IN IT! I know it is rare, i will look after all shipping to lower 48 states. now what is it worth
Seems to have been answered.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Thread is almost 13 years old guys.
Yeah, I see that now. It's because of the threads listed at the bottom of the page under the "recommended reading", regardless of how old they are.

When someone replies to one of those threads it just bumps it back up.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I can't believe I got sucked into posting on this.
You and me both. Not the first time I didn't realize it was a 10 year old post. Happens with those recommended reading suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts