Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a little OCD when it comes to wiring, one of the first things I do when I pick up a car is clean it up. I am forever searching for grommets the right size to fit holes in the fire wall, to fix where previous owners leave me wires chafing against sheet metal. I decided this round I would make my own - there is a material out that is rubbery, so I printed this guy out:

It might be hard to believe but I managed to design and print it faster than I could find one that fit. It popped in nicely:

As you can see there is a lot more wiring to clean up :|

Attachments

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Ninjaflex. No issues at all with delam, it comes out really strong. No guarantees on durability, let's see how it is in 5 years...

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Ninjaflex. Great name. I envy guys who can 3D print, CNC cut parts etc.

Don

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned it to get my kids interested. If I'm sitting on the computer designing something it doesn't take the 13 year old long to want to make some silly thing like a lego spear, but at least he's learning. I got him working on the '68 because him and his brother could make a Youtube video...

The biggest useful areas for cars I've found so far are custom speaker brackets, grommets, shims, plastic washers, and just little bits of "I need something this size to shim, etc.. etc..." It surely speeds up some projects. Have to be careful on material choice, PLA which is the most common 3D printing plastic can't handle summertime in a car. You have to do ABS, which also limits your choice of printer.

Reactions: dhutton
1 - 5 of 5 Posts