Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 RS conv. with a 327, powerglide and a 2.73 rear end. I have found a 4.11 which they told me comes out of a 68. What I would like to know is, will this work in my car. What I would like, is to have a quick around town kind of car. Will this set up work for this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just measure the distance between the perches of the leaf springs. I put together a 4.11 geared rear for my 69RS, it runs about 3300 RPM at 60 MPH. I also put in an Overdrive Trans. out of a Buick Grand National, now I have the best of both worlds. RPM is now 2500 at 60. I found my rearend out of a 73 Chev. Nova. Hope this helps you out! Gene S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For better takeoff in town you might want a 2500 stall converter also. Is you cars engine stock? Headers,camshaft,or 4 barrel carb? Getting better exhaust helped my car out. With the stock motor and 3.73 gears the stock 69 350 and manifolds it ran 15.10 at the track. The very next day I put on headers to try it again, Wow it ran a 14.70 then. I then had the motor done with bigger cam, 9.7 compression,Z-28 intake and dyno max mufflers. Now it ran a best of 13.09, Then I desided I wanted a 12 sec slip. I put in the 4.11 gears, and it slowed to a 13.57, YES it slowed the car, the engine builder said I now need a cam change for the higher rpm the 4.11 gears make. Oh well sounds like this winters project. Gene S.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I'd think about trashing the powerglide. you're leaving the line in the equivalent of second gear. t350 is a drop-in, and it'll really help off the line.

gear choice is interesting. I did a 67 a long time ago that was quicker at the strip with 3.73 than with 4.11. with the 3.73 it crossed the line at redline in second. 4.11 i had to shift to third at the first mph light, also had a lot less traction off the line. it was a 400 sb-t350, ran 13.23 at 103 on streat tires, would have run 12's with slicks.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Jim M what kind of rpms are you shifting at? With a 26" tire I calculate about 7,500 rpm.

[This message has been edited by MarkM (edited 12-10-99).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good topic. My 69 has 4.10 12 bolt, 4speed and stockish 302 with headers. With 10 year old no traction BFG radials i was running 15.30's at 96mph. I couldn't get out of the hole for anything and shifted to 4th just before the lights. I would expect this combo to be quicker, but I obviously need tires. Thats an interesting point that you went quicker with 3.73's. Just goes to show it's all in the packaging.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 67 RS conv. also.I pulled out my 2.73 10 bolt and put in a 12 bolt posi.[with 3.42's though]what a difference a little gear change can make!Ithink some replies got a little off of your original question.I think 4.11's would work out well for your STREET use,the 1/4 mile is a whole different subject.I just hope you are not worried about milage,wear on engine,highway driving,ect.If your posi. is in good shape and the price is right, and it fits,get it,you'll love it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts