Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4.3L z engine.
new distributor with pickup coil, new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, MAP sensor. Engine is properly timed. For some reason this engine will still not run. I can get it to partially start and run for roughly a fraction of a second and thats it. 4 mechanics i had even come to my house are stumped. Its getting gas. Each cylinder is getting spark. The coil is good. Compression in every cylinder. However i noticed it seems like theres some gas in the oil when i pulled the dip stick? The engine once in a blue moon will start however but has a very rough idle.
Can anybody diagnose or lead me in the right direction? thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
is it vortec or tbi? if it is vortec with the injectors and regulater under the upper intake they may be bad just had one in the shop getting gas in the oil so i changed the regulater and injector assy. and up a new nut kit in it{hoses that hooks up to the regulater]

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
If you have the injector setup 67 was talking about, you need to change it out. Its called the "Spider Injector System" and due to being under the intake with all the heat, they leak bad. Its common to have them fail about 60,000 mile range. I would yank the intake and replace the setup...

Kev

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The injectors are already new as well. New gaskets everywhere for the TBI. Any ideas to why it isnt starting still?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Make sure your timing is good; try screwing with it in both directions. Kind of sounds like its off enough so it'll quickly fire on whats left in the cylinder, but won't run after that.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, i think we might be a few teeth off in the distributor. Ill give it a shot.

·
Registered
601 Posts
put a timing light on it if timed right. check fuel pressure alot of times with that spider injection the pressure regulator goes bad and dumps fuel also check a new plug it will smell like gas.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did all of this. Still same problem. Im losing my mind over this now.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
What year 4.3? The computer controls the timing on the 4.3L if its an early 90's or later, there is no adjustment of timing, the distributor goes in straight up and you have to get the distributor installed correctly in order for the car to run correctly. Theres a specific procedure for installing the distributor in that motor.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Theres a specific procedure for installing the distributor in that motor.
I know some of those 90 something model truck engines required a diagnostic tool to set the timing.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
firing order is 165432clockwise i believe...set timing with brown pigtail wire disconnected at 4 degrees...(pigtail conn is by ecm...1 wire black conn on brown wire...)sounds like the dist is 180 out to me...newer obd2 dists are set with rotor at tdc and dist body is located by a pin in the intake through a groove in the body of the dist...what yr is the truck???

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the "Z" engine is the TBI, and the "W" is the Vortec, correct?
he says he's got the Z engine, which makes it not too much different than any carbureted engine.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1991. I tried literally almost every combo for distributor position. Anything else?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
think of it as just an engine, and forget about the electronics..
find TDC on the #1 cylinder, right after the intake valve closes.
that's the compression stroke. put the distributor in with the rotor pointing at the #1 terminal. i always mark the base of the distributor with a shaprie right where the terminal on the cap goes, that way i don't have to guess.
make sure the wires are in the right order, and fire that sucker up. if it doesn't run, then you've got other problems besides just the timing.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried that Novaderrik last night... I do have issues mentally and physically at this point lol.. Anybody know what fuel pressure the truck is supposed to have? Some guys are telling me i might be flooding the engine with too much fuel although i can see it spraying correctly but at this point what else is there?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its getting the proper fuel pressure. I just wish i can find out why its not starting.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did that as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts