Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 core radiator in my 68... it is now leaking on the garage floor. I was just wondering if I should repair or replace. If I replace I was thinking of going aluminum... my local hot rod shop sells them for 200.00. How much does a radiator "rebuild" ususally run?

·
Registered
460 Posts
How bad is the leak and did you determine that it is definately the radiator and not one of the hoses where it meets the radiator? If it is the radiator and its not that bad you could clean the area and solder the hole with confidence. Is this radiator original to the car. If so you should try to keep it for originality or maybe it doesn't matter to you. I don't know how much a rebuild is but 200 seems like a nice deal for a aluminum one. I would make sure the aluminum one is at least as efficient as the one it is replacing or there is no point. If you decide on going aluminum I would be interested in your leaky one.

·
10,144 Posts
Take a look thru the filler cap hole. Do the core tubes have white stuff on them? A lot?
If the leak is where the tanks solder to the core, it's not bad. If the leak is in the tubes, the rad shop will want to re core it.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts