Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this done, putting in a 4th gen Camaro console into a 1st gen Camaro. If so can you guys post some pics and what I need to watch out for. I know I will need to cut and trim to get it to fit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
they got first gen consoles in aftermarket now couple of months ago for 67 also. good luck on a 4th gen getting in there and mods you need to go through

·
Registered
26 Posts
pretty much just bolts in. where the cup holder is on the right side it will hang out over right side of the tunnel. you can put something under the carpet to push it out to fill in the gap. also it wants to sit too low on the hump and if you have a automatic trans then you have to do some engineering.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I am doing this right now on my 67. I will try and get some pictures next time I am at the shop. We just set it up and I really like it. I cut out the trans hump on the wrecked 2000 camaro and took the e-brake assembly and shifter mounts and cables and all the wiring. I am running an automatic. I then drilled the spot welds and removed the 4th gen console,trans shifter and e-brake mounting bracket. It all comes off in piece. We fit it in the console, put the console on the tunnel and found where I wanted it. It's held on with screws at the moment (very solid) and all that's needed for the shifter is a 1 inch or so hole for the cable and a slot for the e-brake cable/grommet to go into. The sides are being made of sheet metal to fill in the gaps and will be covered with carpet and fit up under the console when it remounted to the floor. The console bracket will be welded to the tunnel also.

I am running 4th gen seats and making brackets for them also. The guy doing the console panel work is making templates. He might be able to make more if mounting is done in the same place as mine. PM me so I don't forget to get you some pics.

Joe

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, I have a chance to buy a 2000 camaro interior for about 100 bucks thats seats and console, and anything else I want.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Cut out the hump if you can. Don't forget to take the bracket that the e-bake cable connects to on the underside of the car. You can make one but why not just get one for free!! Also the shifter cables might be short by about an inch or two depending on mounting location etc. You can get a longer one from the 96 or so Impala SS. They are longer.

Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kiko, did you build or buy that 4 gauge pod under the dash?

·
Registered
953 Posts
My interior is not completed yet, but I thought I'd post some pictures of my console. I went with the 4th generation console (also seats and T-56 6spd) but went a little different route. From the front of the shifter to the back of the console it's basically stock with a few slight modifications to make it fit a little better. But, from the shifter forward it has been totally custom made. A friend of mine fabricated it to make it look more "factory" and fit the 69 dash. Also to be more functional and house 4 gauges and 4 switches. He's the same guy who did my body and paint and is excellent at fiberglass work and fabrication. It screws to the lower dash as well as a few spots on the trans tunnel. As you can see, I retained the 97 e-brake assembly and will make it functional in the future. It's bolted up to the trans tunnel like on a 4th gen car. The console fits the tunnel tightly with no big gaps like the unmodified 97 console would have. I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. He did an awesome job on it. You can't tell where the factory console stops and the custom part starts. Including the texture. I also had him eliminate the factory cigarette lighter that was positioned just in front of the e-brake handle. A few people who have seen it have asked me where they can get one.. I told them .. "sorry, you can't". I told him he should have a mold made of it and sell them...lol.

It doesn't have the shifter boot on it in the picture and I have a nice finish panel that goes on the gauge face but it is not installed in the pictures. I'm also going with a different shifter ball. Thats a stock 97 Camaro one on it in the picture.

Sorry for the crappy quality pictures.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry for the delay, been busy with other things.
I fabricated the 4 gauge pod from sheet aluminum and painted it black. I used angled spacers for the gauges so it would kinda
faced towards the driver. I believe it was from Autometer. You can get it either from Summit or Jegs. The pod is bolted to the bottom of the dash. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
That 69 install is SWEET!!!!

I have pics to post soon of mine in my 67. It's dirty and just mocked up. I am seeing a lot of ways to go. I am going to really like mine. Pics coming soon!!

Joe

OK got some pictures up. Like I said it's dirty!! The gap between the console and the floor pan/trans tunnel are being made. They are sheet metal and gome up to meet the console, they will becovered with carpet and tuck under the console edges. Seats will get hounds tooth coverings.

Comments?

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I saw some pictures of this being done. They used the entire dash, center console, front and rear seats as well. It was a while back and was either on protouring.com or ls1tech.com. Try a few searches there.

There's a guy on LS1tech that is doing that, looks good to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts