Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All;
I am installing a 600+ hp LS3 with a T56 magnum trans in my 68. I have the entire rear end of the car removed. I am in the process of installing mini tubes (DSE). I will be installing a 4-link and 9" rear end. What I am having a hard time with deciding is who should I purchase from and what is the best bang for the buck. Ridetech offers a bolt on 4-link and a currie 9" set up, DSE offers a quadra link that requires cutting welding in pieces and a ford 9" system. there seems to be a lot of different manufacturers offing different forms of 4-links and rearends. I am not set on the two I mentioned above.
would the people on this forum that have the same drive train set up as myself could chime in on what rear end set ups they have would greatly help with making a decision.
please don't ask what I am doing with the car, if money is an issue.....I am just looking for what the "norm" is out there as I am sure there are lots who have put an LS3 with a T56 in there cars that have high HP.
if you could list off what 4-link, coilovers, and what rearend you have that would be great. and where you bought. I am in Canada, so I need to take into account exchange rates and shipping.

thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
You can order a 9 inch with DSE pieces welded on already from Currie if you want to use the DSE set up. I have a ridetech 4 link and Currie rearend, waiting to be installed. Planned HP over 700 with a 6 speed. I bought through Matts Classic Bowties

·
Registered
684 Posts
Caltracs and split mono work great if you are thinking straight lines - much lower cost and easy installation. Some guys have got to 8’s in quarter mile with this setup.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,740 Posts
I had a Currie 9” with the Ridetech brackets and they worked well. Converting to a full DSE setup now. Another option for rear housing and center sections is GearFX. They sell 9” housings with either Ridetech or DSE brackets. 9” inch gears (aftermarket) tend to have gear noise. The center section I bought through Quick Performance was noisy the entire time I had it (8 years, 20k miles). Through them you can order a center section with REM polishing on the gears and dyno’d. They also offer rebuild services if you already have a pumpkin.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
You definitely don’t need a 4 link for 600 horse, if it’s straight line do split monos and cal tracs, if it’s more pro tour there are better options for handling than a 4 link, I’m sure.

Getting a 4 link properly setup is no cake walk either.

There is no trick to harnessing 600-700, even more with leaf springs, but if you want to say “I have a 4 link“ or want the look, go for it.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
819 Posts
I don’t think this would be hijacking because its in a similar line but what are the difference it how the car rides and handles with a 4 link, specifically the Ridetech, and a torque like what TCI sells. I get that a torque arm or 3 link probably handles turns better but are the significant differences in ride quality as well. I think either would handle good enough for me so if one rides better than the other, I’ll go that direction.

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
687 Posts
Caltracs and split mono work great if you are thinking straight lines - much lower cost and easy installation. Some guys have got to 8’s in quarter mile with this setup.

guys are going a whole lot quicker than 8's on split monos and caltracs

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can order a 9 inch with DSE pieces welded on already from Currie if you want to use the DSE set up. I have a ridetech 4 link and Currie rearend, waiting to be installed. Planned HP over 700 with a 6 speed. I bought through Matts Classic Bowties
Any updates? Thought about getting the Currie with the Ridetech upper and lower brackets welded. I had fitment issues with the cradle so I don’t know how their axle fitment will be.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Any updates? Thought about getting the Currie with the Ridetech upper and lower brackets welded. I had fitment issues with the cradle so I don’t know how their axle fitment will be.
It installed perfectly, no issues at all with the Currie and the brackets. It's a very nice piece. the brackets set the rearend in dead on centered, I would recommend getting it with the brackets welded on already.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts