Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read, a 4 piston caliper is the original part for a 68 front disc brake setup (J52). But while searching the site I saw a post saying that on later 68's they switch to a single piston caliper. I have a 04D build. Anyway to know if this should have a 4 piston caliper for single piston?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I wasn't aware of this; I didn't think the full floating single piston was used before 1969.

Regardless of originality I would use the Girling style fixed bridge four piston (I would prefer a remanufactured pair with stainless steel sleeves over a brand new Delco-Moraine reproduction part) as they are a better brake with more even clamping force applied over a larger area. (and they look cool peeking back at you through a five spoke mag wheel).

Bigger is better in brakes and radiators (not to mention motors), but if you are looking for numbers matching you priorities differ from mine and you should check to seer what was installed originally if you can. (I take it a search for a build sheet came up empty).

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I haven't found a build sheet but it wouldn't matter because it didn't come with disc brakes. I'm not trying to be perfect like Chick, but at least have accurate reproductions. I think that the 4 piston would be correct for my car with a casting number of 5455530 and I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair on eBay. But I found this post and it threw me off:

If they are rebuilt and ready to go, then that's a steal of a deal. I recently paid $400 for rebuildable cores,and had a very hard time finding those. Only the 67 and 68's had the 4 piston setup from GM. They went to the simpler and less trouble prone single piston caliper later in 68.
I think I'll be comfortable with the 4 piston.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Thanks for the info. I haven't found a build sheet but it wouldn't matter because it didn't come with disc brakes. I'm not trying to be perfect like Chick, but at least have accurate reproductions. I think that the 4 piston would be correct for my car with a casting number of 5455530 and I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair on eBay. But I found this post and it threw me off:

I think I'll be comfortable with the 4 piston.
Gee thanks for the compliment :grin2: Had to laugh on that one! Yes, you want the 4 piston calipers and the post you referred to would indicate to me late 68 referred to year and that would be 1969 model's being produced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts