Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's time for me to buy a lift. I know 100% for sure I want a 4 post lift. It will only be used for cars. Most of the home/hobby lifts are cable not chain. I would rather have a chain but I'm not sure that's worth the extra $1,000. I am looking at 9K - 12K pound lifts. There are so many out here to choose from it is making me nuts (Eagle, Panther, Surperior, Bend Pak, Back Yard Buddy, American, etc..). There are some real good (or what appear to be) package deals on e-bay (Panther lifts). Not sure how great the price would be after adding shipping from Texas to California. Are there any dealers in California?

What lifts would you guys suggest. I know Rotary are about the cream of the crop but, they are back east and probably more lift than I need or want to afford. I don't want to skimp. I like the lifts that offer casters and jack trays but, they appear to be the lighter duty cable driven type. Are cables ok? For $2,999 I can get an Eagle 12K lift, chain driven but, don't want to spend another $1500 getting it shipped.

I'm open to all suggestions, brands, advice. I am pretty much ready to buy now.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I have a PerfectPark rated for 9000# and love it. The cable runs down through the center of the post which is safer and gives a better arrangement. I also bought a hydraulic jack tray which makes it a snap to raise either end of the car. I used bottle jacks and jack trays for a few years when I had to do brakes, suspension, etc and that works too but not as easily. I think perfectpark was bought out by someone. I have some literature at home by the new people and wil look for the mfr info. Happy hunting. It sure makes it a lot easier working on our cars. Two weeks after getting mine the tranny went :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Read this recently from a collector....
1) Standard exterior column cable pull with exterior mechanical locking mechanism
2) The interior cable pull and locking mechanism
3) The “Backyard Buddy” design with a collar that rides on the out side of the column.

Just about every manufacture makes the first style and there are numerous “off-shore” ones available, priced anywhere from $1,400 (foreign manufactured) to $3,000 (US manufactured). I found that these lifts were not very stable and swayed too much for my comfort.

There are two manufactures that make the second style with the enclosed column cable pull and locking mechanism, Bend Pak and Perfect Park. These lifts are much more stable than the first style. I think the Perfect Park is a little nicer but their price was a little too high and I also liked the air actuated locks on the Bend Pak.

The Backyard Buddy was a decent lift but with the collars that ride on the outside of the columns there was always grease/lubricant that you would brush up against. For the price I felt Perfect Park and Bend Pak were a better value.
Bend pak is in California

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
American custom lifts http://www.aclifts.com/ located in Escondido, California,
From their site:
Why are American Custom Lifts better than all other four post parking lifts?

Below are 10 true reasons why:

1. Other lift companies use brass or plastic sheaves, which tend to wear out over time and are not designed for continuous cycles per day. Our 7K four post designs use a commercial grade bearing in pulleys that are designed for many cycles per day as used in heavy duty truck lifts.
  2. Our lifts use a 1.5" x 1.5" x 2 7/8" oil based urethane glide block. This provides a smooth up and down platform operation. Many of the other lifts require you to grease the inside or outside of the columns over a period of time. Other lifts platforms will tend to jump or skip as they're being raised or lowered. This is due to using inexpensive plastic glide blocks.
  3. Our lifts use an aircraft quality cable, four attached to each column, tested at 14,500 lbs each.
  4. Other lift companies base-plates are only 3/8" gauge steel maximum which sometimes warp when being welded to the columns, thus causing the lift to sway when free standing. Our four post design base-plates are made with 1/2" gauge American steel. Our lift will rest flush on the foundation and will not require anchoring.
  5. Other lift companies tracks (runways) have square cut edges which can be dangerous if brushed against. American Custom Lift tracks (runways) are made with a non-sag diamond plate steel that have been rounded on the corners. It is also aesthetically more pleasing.
  6. Our lifts provide an extra safety measure that provides peace of mind. Most other lift companies offer no safety in the case of a glide block bolt coming loose. All of our 7K and 9K four post lift provide extra safety precautions by welding a safety dowel to the under carriage where the glide blocks are bolted at the end of each cross-rail. If a glide block bolt were to come loose, there would be no risk of the glide block slipping.
  7. Many of the four post parking lifts on the market today use a 3" diameter cylinder. When overworked, they will tend to leak. Our parking lift models us a 3 1/2" diameter cylinder.
  8. Warranty: We offer a 15 year warranty on our structure, five years on our cylinders and five years on our power units. Ask the other lift companies what their warranty covers. You won't be impressed.
  9. Our lifts are all powder-coated. Available lift colors are black, blue and red. Custom colors are also available for an additional cost.
  10. Our lifts are AMERICAN MADE. 90% of the lift companies today are selling imported lifts from China, Korea and Turkey. These lifts look like toys when standing side by side to one of our heavy duty American made lifts. Surprisingly, many of the lift manufacturers are now importing their steel, cylinders and power units and then assembling the lifts at their facility and claiming "American made". Don't be fooled when they claim American made. We'll put it in writing!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Royce, Too bad you didn't know someone who owned a steel shop close to you :noway: .
If you did, I bet they could build that car lift for you in a few hours. Probably even delivery it. :cool:
If you could come up with a motor and the cables (Or chains) to drive the frame, I will build it for you.
It may be more of hassle than it's worth but If you think it will save you money then give me a call. We can barter for the work so your hard costs will be for the drive system.

Rich

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Superior (Superlifts.com)'s SR-7H is a great lift. Built very, very sturdy. I've used one since 2001 and it's been perfect the whole time. We liked it so much that we recently got a 2 post Superior to match.

·
Registered
292 Posts
check out bend pack prices at asedeals.com I was told they are delivered from California. I researched quite a bit. Looks like best value out there? Call them for price, i think you will be suprised.Mine will be ordered soon as my slab is scheduled to be poured in my new garage.
Ryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Cameroman7d:

If you're looking for a four post lift, I highly recommend purchasing an American made model. Our company, American Custom Lifts, only sells American made lifts. We truly do offer the best and safest four post parking lift on the market. You can find out why by visiting our parking lift page at http://www.aclifts.com/parking/. Check out our deluxe model, ACP-7 ParkKing. But if you aren't into aesthetics and only need a lift to serve its purpose, then I would recommend the ACS7-Stacker.

Backyard Buddy and Rotary also both provide American made lifts. And please note, that if you like the backyard buddy style, we also offer that same design but for less money, $3,695 delivered.

You'd mentioned Panther Lifts. They're a branch off of Texedo Lifts. They sell inexpensive imported lifts from China. Remember, you get what you pay for.

If you or anyone else from this site is interested in receiving information on any of our products, please call me any time using our toll free number 888.711.5438. I'd be happy to speak with you and send you brochures. Also, any member from this site will receive an additional 5% discount.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

Brad Davies

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of good info. I'm sure I could build a lift if I put my mind to it but, that is a lot of work and time. I'm not sure it would save much money in the end either. Building one is out of the question right now. I am trying to finish up the shop so I can get back to work on my car and my motorcycle.

I hear different terms used "parking lift" I will not be "parking" on it. It will be used for working on projects. I think the term parking lift is used for lighter duty models. I don't think that's what I want/need.

I found a local guy selling a new Bend Pak HD-9ST for $2500 delivered, that seems like a decent deal but, Bend Pak doesn't list theur prices on their site so I need to call them to see.

I will check out the Perfect Park as well as the asedeals.com site.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark,
I am leaning heavily towards the same lift you have (Bend Pak 12,000). I need to call on Monday and get the "sale" price from asedeals.com. If it is anywhere near what you paid it's a done deal.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Hey Royce

The local co is auto lifts and equip in San Mateo. 650-222-8348 They will likely be at next Good Guys with a host of others..

They will sell you most anything you want and will recommend an American lift as Brad suggests- I think the heavy duty air actuated bend-pak is where I left of as well. I haven't purchased one yet but will need one eventually.

Dad is pushin' 80 and threatened to give me his 40 deluxe coupe- been in family since 49...guess thats why I have had the camaro for 30 years.

WTG on those colts...

Let us know what you do!

Lane

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hi Royce the bend pak poeple were great to work with , i delivered a truck i sold down to seatle and went to yellow freight and they loaded right onto my car trailer . The deal they had was with free shipping in the lower 48 . Mr DanB's car will be going up on it in april for the tremec swap getting ready to come down your way . I hope you get one your back will thank you .
Mark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Along with the build quality, look at the shipping weights. Seperates the men from the boys as far as how much steel is used.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mark,
I will be getting one ASAP it's just a matter of which one. I am done crawling on the ground if I can help it. Been doin it for too many years and my knees and back deserve it. I called ASEDEALS today but, they are closed on weekends. They advertise free shipping and "call for blow out sale prices". If the price is right I will order it.

Lane,
Good to see you here on the site. I will check with the local dealer you suggested. Unfortunately I can't make Goodguys this time, I'm sure I could get a decent deal there if I could make it.

Bryan,
That's a good point and there is a big difference between some models.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a Backyard Buddy. I love it! I have changed a ton of transmissions, done exhaust work, replaced axles, etc. on mine. I bought the 220 unit with the longer entrance ramps and a rolling jack tray and a caster set. It is a tight squeeze to get an extended cab truck on it, and a dually won't fit. Suburbans and 57 Plymouth's are a breeze though. I don't regret it at all, it has been great. The quality and safety are second to none.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok 1 last question before asedeals calls me back. I am torn between a 9,000 and 12,000 lbs lift. I know I will never lift anything close to either weight. I did check the shipping weight on both and of course the 12K lb lift is much heavier and is built much stronger. The heaviest car I would ever need to lift would maybe be 5,000lbs. I want to do this one time and not have to worry about it. Is the 12K lb lift uneeded overkill? The 9,000 lb lift is also smaller and won't take up as much space.

What do you guys think? Both lifts are Bend Pak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts