Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an earlier post someone was asking about patterns for the hole in the tunnel and they showed some pictures. Some of the pictures included a reinforcement ring around the hole. Mine doesn't have this as someone hacked it up. My question was and is: Can you buy this reinforcement for the hole and does it come on the tunnel replacement repair pieces?

·
Super Moderator
32,786 Posts
Most 69's were hacked/torched at the factory if I remember from earlier posts as 68's were punched in place as noted by the smooth edge. Made assembly easier using one floor board for 69's rather than two floorboards for 68's.

I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what about the reinforcement bracket for 68's. Does anyone know if you can get that anywhere? Mine is gone and the hole looks stamped out, not cut.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
one of those pics was mine and I can tell you that the replacement tunnel does not come with that reinforcement ring.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
this is the ring..it is not sold aftermarket....are you sure the car is a factory 4 speed? does it appear to have spotweld marks where the ring was?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 67 tunnel that the previous owner butchered. I just mig welded a 1" piece underneath hole where it had been cut out. I took pieces of sheet metal from the standard hood I am replacing and repaired the rest of the tunnel where they used a cutting torch to open it up. It wasn't pretty but turned out good. I think that would be a lot less work than replacing the shifter tunnel section with the aftermarket piece.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks, I just wanted to know if the reinforcement was sold. I might be able to get one from some junk parts. The hole was butchered up and it either took off this ring or it came off so they could butcher it. I hate this, my old car had this same thing done to it. They make shifters that fit the cars, why not buy them? I can't see under the undercoating this restoration genius used but there were spot weld nubs sticking through it and I just didn't know if all 4 sp cars had this reinforcement or not.

·
Premium Member
12,511 Posts
Well this is an old thread. Someone may repop the ring, or you can have it manufactured by your local metal fabricator shop if you can find a photo for them to work from. If you do go that route, you have them make a few extras to sell that way you pay nothing for yours in the end run.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
There is some info on CRG (click the 'transmission' link at the top of the home page) on this shifter hole reinforcement, including this picture:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts