Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install my engine and tranny as one unit, the car was a 3 on the tree. I am doing a 4 speed. Where can I get dimensions or a template to cut a factory looking hole in the right place. I have had several 4 speeds in the past that had very ragged metal around this area and would like to avoid that on this one. Thanks

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
When I needed to cut the hole in mine, I searched these forums and came up with conflicting diagrams and dimensions including the one pictured above.
I ended up installing everything first (minus shift lever), then marking the center of the hole from the bottom up (in neutral), then laid out the hole based on that. Worked out well that way.

·
Registered
768 Posts
if you have a console, mount it and trace the inner plastic tunnel. i did that on my 69 and it worked perfect.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The above is a 69 torch cut hole. I have a pic of a 67/68 stamped hole in this thread.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67434&highlight=shifter+hole

If I was doing a 67 or 68 cut, I'd get the reinforcing plate from one of the resto houses, use the photos in the above thread to position it, and then use the plate to mark for the hole cutout. I don't have any suggestions for getting the rounded corners to look "right" (if you care).

The other thing to keep in mind (James' post reminded me) is that the factory hole worked with a factory Muncie shifter. A lot of the tunnel butchery that has been done to these cars is when different shifters have been added. So, the best bet is to mark it from the under side for what shifter you have. You could then drill a small hole in the center, and mark things up to compare to the dimensions you get here. If it fits in a "factory" type hole, great. If not, do what you need to do, amlthough it may affect other things (console placement, boot style, etc.).

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
When I needed to cut the hole in mine, I searched these forums and came up with conflicting diagrams and dimensions including the one pictured above.
I ended up installing everything first (minus shift lever), then marking the center of the hole from the bottom up (in neutral), then laid out the hole based on that. Worked out well that way.
That.s the way I did mine, and now, with the boot on, Reverse is pretty close to the left edge. It's OK, but I think my hole is about 1/4"-3/8" too far to the right.

If I had it to do over, I'd borrow a console, and use that method.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I've got a question about that reinforcement hole. Did all 4 speed 68's have these? I had a 68 ss and it had one. My 68 z didn't. Could it have come off or been cut off? Where these tack welded or what?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I would be too except mine has the perfect rounded cutout that was stamped out and its a Z28 with POP. The side was hacked out so some moron could put in a 75 Trans Am Hurst shifter. ( "It looks just like the 69 Z28 one" NOT) So this genius probably chiseled the plate off so he could hack up the side of the tunnel easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts