Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 RS has some linkage problems. Sitting at a green light stuck in third gear really bites. When in neutral, one of the linkage bars feels loose, able to wiggle it with my hand. Is this normal, or should it be tight. Does Chevy or anyone make a linkage replacement kit?

·
Registered
321 Posts
If this is the factory Muncie shifter, be sure that the shift stabilizer rod is in place and if it is make sure the rubber mounts are not loose. These guys will bind up if the stabilizer rod is missing or the rubber mounts are worn.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

·
10,144 Posts
If the shifter gets dirty, there is a spring plunger inside the shifter that can get stuck and the plunger can fall into the shift mechanism and jam it. You will only be able to get 3rd and 4th
The plunger has a taper to it, surrounded by ball bearings, the bearings are surrounded by a coiled band spring, like a clock spring. the spring pushes in on the balls, the balls push on the plunger, forcing it against the shifter stick.
If dirt gets in there, the the spring won't clamp down the plunger will fall into the shifter and jam it.
It's not the first thing I would check but...

If everything else looks O.K. check the plunger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts