Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing a 400 in my 69 ss/rs Iwas told that Iwould have to shim the motor mount between the mount and the block to keep the balancer clear of the sway bar , is this true? also does anyone make a rear a/c bracket that will clear the tall style valve covers? who makes a single plane intake that will allow the stock alt. brkt.to work (it mounts to the therm. housing I currently have a team -G intake and it is nowhere close ) maybe a TORKER? thanks

·
Retired
26,897 Posts
I have a 383 with a 400 balancer and it's very close. I would think about shimming the sway bar for clearence before shimming the motor mount. Can't help with the rest...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 09-14-2002).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 400 in my 69 Z clone. The motor mounts are not shimmed. I have approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance from the counter balancer to the sway bar. A little over a fingers width from balancer to sway bar. The sway bar does have a slight downward dip in the center area. My car was originally a 6 cylinder but I don't know if that would make any difference or not. P

------------------
1969 Camaro Z/28 clone 406 SB/450hp TH400, 12 bolt w/3.73 gears, Extreme Comp Cam CS EX284H .507/.510 lift

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had to shim the sway bar mounts down 1/2" so the 400 balancer will clear on my car. I also am running a single plane intake and had to modify the stock alternator bracket. I cut off the piece of the bracket that extends out to the thermostat housing and fabbed a short steel strap to make the connection and welded it to the bracket. I've seen it done this way several times before.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Kevin, the Edelbrock Torker II is a single plane and will work with the stock alternator bracket. I have one in my 69.

Send me an e-mail if you are interested in swapping. I was thinking about getting a Team G.

·
20,454 Posts
I had the balancer/sway bar problem too... used the frame brakets as templates,and cut what I needed out of 1/2" plate. Also I run a Torker intake with no problems as far as the Alt. braket; but due to a flat hood; run a drop base air filter.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts