Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there will be any fitment problems after replacing the engine mounts and springs with installing a 427 "tall deck" (truck engine) block in a 67 camaro, as opposed to a 427 out of a car?

thanks,

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
perhaps someone else has actually tried... but the block is 1/2" taller, making each head 3/8 or so wider... moving the headers out that far, and up too. Exhaust could be tough, wiper motor and heater box could be too.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
A couple of the members here, pdq67 and smits67 come to mind, has been working on this setup for a while. Do a search for "tall deck" or "truck", and you'll get a lot of info.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Tall deck is 10.2", short is 9.8" if I remember correctly.

I would think you might have problems running tall valve covers with a power brake booster, but I have never done it myself so I can't say for sure.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Sorry, mine is out of a '75 P/U truck but still a standard height car BB motor.

The tall deck heavy-duty BB motors are out of big trucks, (i.e., 2.5 ton dumps and such), school busses and truck cargo vans.

It's mainly header fitment that can cause problems if I recall right using the taller and wider h-d truck motors in cars..

pdq67

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Paul, you post implies that your "tow truck motor" is actually in the car :D Is it true? and if so are you and Travis actually close to firing the beast?????? Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm ????

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Eric,

Yes, it's in the car and I just got through installing my cheap Summit/Northern Aluminum Radiator aluminum rad. last night.

I still have a bunch of small things to do and yes Travis has come up a couple a times to help, but we always get ta yah yahin' and don't get anything done b/c I'm not organised at all..

I kinda just do this and that sorta deal until it's all done..

pdq67

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Every time Travis goes up it puts the firing date off another month. Now that it is in my bet is that it will be fired up on Oct 6, 2008 :D For someone who knows so damn much about every engine ever built, you sure do take your time pdq67. I put mine in in the afternoon and fired it up the next day and I took my time.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey, my Dad is from Mizzou and you can't them folks to rush. They get there when they get there. Something to be said about that kind of living....... :D

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
penguin,

There are more old Mark IV 454's out there then all the other BB motors combined so please consider trying to pick up a mid '70's to mid '80's P/U 454 core motor and then using it to make what you want..

pdq67

·
Registered
148 Posts
I recently installed a 427 tall deck in my 67 Camaro Convertible. I used a Gen V Truck tall deck and finished most of it with L-88 components. Used the Gen V crank (rebalanced with heavy metal) in with .400"+ H-beam rods. Used intake spacer plates to mount L-88 intake and a 950 Holley HP. Fitment....I had no major problems using BB frame and engine mounts. If the car was not set up for a BB there will be clearence problems at the heater box. Stock Exhausts will not be a problem, finding headers for 67-69 Camaro with Tall Deck is almost nill(AFCO Racing is making some now). I used headers that I cut and fit to the stearing box. Tall Deck BB will go in, because I did it. Springs will need to be for a BB. I am well pleased with my Aluminum Headed GEN V /L-88 clone. If you get an after market Tall Deck intake you can forget about the intake spacers. The Intake spacers and the fact that the Gen V has no manual fuel pump provisions are the only giveaway. Mine is not a daily driver by any means, but the days I do drive it are exciting. Nothing like a BB early Camaro with alot of torque and HP.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It can be done, but installing a std deck block is less work.
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts