Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a buddy of mine that has a 427 "tall block" complete engine that he is willing to sell me. Dont have any casting numbers yet but question is if Im trying to upgrade my 67 to a 427 for general street use would this be a good choice....I know this is a truck motor but if Im starting from scratch would I be better off finding a "non-tall block" motor? Dont know what the advantages or disadvantages would be from going either way. Also what would be a good price? the motor is complete but needs to be rebuilt.....thanx (I know I dont have much specific info at this time but just want a "general" consensus on tall block versus non tall block issue)

·
3,408 Posts
Kenny,
The Tall Deck truck heads are basically "scrap metal" as far as performance use goes. So just figure you are getting a short block. I personally think that the problems with "fitting" the tall deck engines in a car just are not worth it. You need a different distributor. Different intake manifold or spacers. Different headers. Etc Etc Etc. I would stay away from it and wait until you can find a car engine.
Just for grins, get the casting number ... it might not really be a tall deck.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Look at the upper water pump bolts b/c if they are down from the deck a schosh over 3/4" or so, it is a tall deck and if only about .4" or so, it is a standard deck.

This is b/c of the .4" difference in deck height between the two motors is all....

pdq67

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wish there were more folks in this area that considered the 427 tall deck to be "scrap" for performance use. If that were the case, Perhaps I would be able to buy them cheap again like I used to in the past. Anymore they are outrageously priced in this area. They have caught on with the mud bogging (truck) crowd, and with those that have race only drag cars.
I like building them up for performance use, and have one in my 68 Camaro......but Bill is right,
they really are a pain in the tail for street cars due to clearance issues.
Chris

·
3,408 Posts
Smits,
I only meant that the heads were scrap metal, not the entire engine. Lots of guys using them in boats also, but with the aftermarket blocks available, its not worth the trouble most of the time.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah Bill, you are right. The aftermarket has stepped up with some good blocks. The old mark IV stuff (even tall blocks) are getting hard to come by in good usable condition these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx guys for the input...I will stay away from it....I will get the casting numbers but my buddy is a 427 guy so Im positive its a tall block if he says it is....The person he got it from was using it in his airboat. Does anyone have any idea what these are worth? It needs a total rebuild and after reading all of your comments I will look for something else but would still be interesting to know what its worth....I'll keep you posted with casting numbers shortly.....thanx, Kenny

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I ran them in dragsters where the tall deck didn't mean anything. The only advantage they have is that you can use a .400 long rod and a non custom piston. There is no more room in the crankcase for a long stroke crank so you gain nothing there. The block itself is a very stout(and heavy) piece that requires a lot of special parts to make it work. Personally I wouldn't use one even if I had no clearence problem with the taller deck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts