Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering how much of a difference there is between a 427 talldeck out of a 74 chevy grain truck and a 454?? like height, weight, width, motor mounts, and bellhousing.. if anybody knows if i can fit it in my camaro and how much modifications i would have to do please let me know!!

------------------
1979 chevy silverado 4x4 with 38 inch tires; 1974 camaro; working on a deal for a 1973 R/S!!!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Don't try it, not worth the trouble. If you want to keep the crank and rods they are excellent. The block can be sold to someone who has the room to use it. I used the oil pan on my dragsters because there is none better. It can be made to fit there are people on the site that have tried it they can give you all of the problems that you will face.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it won't fit in my camaro will it fit in my 4x4??? i have a 79 chevy silverado 1/2 ton 4x4. if it will fit in the 4x4 i'll take the 454 out of it and put it in the camaro instead.

------------------
1979 chevy silverado 4x4 with 38 inch tires; 1974 camaro; working on a deal for a 1973 R/S!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it won't fit in my camaro will it fit in my truck?? i have a 79 chevy 4x4 with a 3 inch body lift and 9 inch suspension lift. the 427 talldeck can't be that much bigger than the 454. just wondering!

------------------

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Yes, it will fit in your truck b/c there is alot more engine bay room then in the cars. Usually it's header clearance that gives fits!! The tall block is .4" taller at the deck then the standard car/light duty truck block. Therefore it is wider but not enough to cause prob's. in your truck. Being wider and taller means you have to use either the truck intake and [distr. (I think?)] or else a special wide intake or a regular intake w/ spacers. I think some of the special intakes use the low deck distr. but I would check this out! IMHO. pdq67

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have a 366 tall deck, they dont make good performance motors really, compression is at a minimum d/t the extra deck height, and ive heard they have core shift problems. my 366 could probably pull my house off its foundation, but you have to clock it with a calendar, it is so slow!!granted your 427 has more cubes but its still probably not what you are looking for as far as camaro performance. just my .02

Sean

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have now decided to get the motor and put it in my 4x4 and take the 450 horse 454 outta my truck and put it in the camaro!!
then i'll have a monster power plant in both. hehe

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts