Team Camaro Tech banner

427 or 454

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L88 427 vs, LS5,LS6 or LS7 454 Mark IV 2piece Main Seal
Other than the clear cubic inch difference is there an advantage of shorter stroke to wind up faster? Remember all the mouse talk about 327's and 350's in corvettes. Sure If you ask whether you want a cast crank or a forged crank, forged wins. Big Block debate........Which do you choose? Thank you

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I actually have a Mark IV 454 block, forged 396 crank with 427 domed pistons in my SS. At the shop now getting Straub magic applied but I love it. I like keeping things period correct, which is why I jumped after my car when I saw it for sale. Theres a long debate between the idea of high, quick revving 396/427s, my preference is period correctness. The other "benefits" are a bonus for me

·
Registered
447 Posts
L71 in my 69 - sourced from 68 Vette in early 1980’s for $300. 512 short block was warranty replacement under original 840 heads. Hydraulic flat cam now, got tired of solids. 3x2 sold off years back now single Holley DP that works better anyway.

Not sure any factory installed 454 could match the L88 or ZL1 for power. Both sizes now seem kind of small with 540’s everywhere now.

Pretty amazing the original Mark IV architecture has passed the test of time.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I see big big blocks at the track going very fast, I see small big blocks going not quit as fast. all else being equal, bigger is faster.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
321 Posts
If going with the extra weight, might as well go with the extra cubes. The whole 'a 427 will wind out farther than a 454' is a myth. Just like a 327 vs 350.... The 427 and 327 HAD to wind out farther to make the same power as their larger counter parts while making less torque.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Both make the same power but with the 427 you have to twist it higher in the RPM band to make the same power a 454 will make at at a lower RPM. This requires a solid roller cam and HD springs (and the maintenance) to do that, bot to mention better ignition and induction system..

I personally like the look of two Holley 4bbls sticking through the hood on top of a tunnel ram and Vertex mag. Very old school!

Big Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see big big blocks at the track going very fast, I see small big blocks going not quit as fast. all else being equal, bigger is faster.
Excellent response, no pun intended. I love the more power, less gas is another story

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both make the same power but with the 427 you have to twist it higher in the RPM band to make the same power a 454 will make at at a lower RPM. This requires a solid roller cam and HD springs (and the maintenance) to do that, bot to mention better ignition and induction system..

I personally like the look of two Holley 4bbls sticking through the hood on top of a tunnel ram and Vertex mag. Very old school!

Big Dave
I too am old school, mind blowing to realize the majoity of today's youth will never experience the kick of secondays kicking in on a Holley, much less dual Holley's wide open throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If going with the extra weight, might as well go with the extra cubes. The whole 'a 427 will wind out farther than a 454' is a myth. Just like a 327 vs 350.... The 427 and 327 HAD to wind out farther to make the same power as their larger counter parts while making less torque.
Excellent response, I knew my small block 331 to big block 467 swap would require front suspension attention, was very impressed in adjustable QA1 coilovers from Global Suspension. Affordable upgrade that I would suggest to all using old school coils and shocks. I was worried about 500Lbs being too stiff. Not the case. Doubling the horsepower and switching to coilover brought Brown Sugar into today's ballgame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jumping from 331 with 220 HP to 467 with 430 HP is Big Block Bliss. Had no idea how much fun I was missing out on with a 2 speed Automatic small block vs. 4 speed Muncie Big Block.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have a Mark IV 454 block, forged 396 crank with 427 domed pistons in my SS. At the shop now getting Straub magic applied but I love it. I like keeping things period correct, which is why I jumped after my car when I saw it for sale. Theres a long debate between the idea of high, quick revving 396/427s, my preference is period correctness. The other "benefits" are a bonus for me
I truly respect period correctness, but I am a Hot Rodder. Modifying is my passion. Throwing in a shorter crank in your 454 block is a perfect example. I equate higher winding engines with bigger smiles. Small block vs. Big block is difficult to compare. Both have equal plus and minuses. Having made the switch, I do not see looking back for this build. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Bigger is better in my book. More cubes, longer stroke, equals more torque. Torque is what accelerates the vehicle and annihilates tires. Pound for pound it only makes sense to build a bigger cube motor. My 461 let go a month ago. The block is a total loss. Starting from scratch, a brand new block 4.25'' bore vs. 4.50'' costs about the same. A rotating assembly with a 4'' stroke vs. a 4.25'' stroke costs about the same. It's a no brainer for me. I am now building a 540 to take the place of my 461. It will easily make more power ,just with the extra 1/4'' bore and stroke which will add 79 cubic inches and is the same physical size.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I truly respect period correctness, but I am a Hot Rodder. Modifying is my passion. Throwing in a shorter crank in your 454 block is a perfect example. I equate higher winding engines with bigger smiles. Small block vs. Big block is difficult to compare. Both have equal plus and minuses. Having made the switch, I do not see looking back for this build. Thank you.
In fairness, I bought mine built like this. If I were building it, honestly, it would have been hard for me to NOT buy a 427 crate due to cost, but my honest desire is a true 427, 4 bolt block and build that. However, Im thrilled with what I have and looking forward to getting it back soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bigger is better in my book. More cubes, longer stroke, equals more torque. Torque is what accelerates the vehicle and annihilates tires. Pound for pound it only makes sense to build a bigger cube motor. My 461 let go a month ago. The block is a total loss. Starting from scratch, a brand new block 4.25'' bore vs. 4.50'' costs about the same. A rotating assembly with a 4'' stroke vs. a 4.25'' stroke costs about the same. It's a no brainer for me. I am now building a 540 to take the place of my 461. It will easily make more power ,just with the extra 1/4'' bore and stroke which will add 79 cubic inches and is the same physical size.
Sorry to hear your about your 461. How many years did you run it? I had lifter failure on my 331 and it flattened the cam. Saved up to do a crate motor, then neighbor sold me built big block for $1700. His son sold me a Muncie 4 speed for $400, and then I was off to the races. Proud to complete the conversion during Covid. I had to give up waiting on some manufactures due long delays.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In fairness, I bought mine built like this. If I were building it, honestly, it would have been hard for me to NOT buy a 427 crate due to cost, but my honest desire is a true 427, 4 bolt block and build that. However, Im thrilled with what I have and looking forward to getting it back soon.
Straub Magic?I respect your 427 vote. I believe there would be a higher percentage of votes for a Camaro with a 427 than 396 350 327 and it it may be split between 427 and 302. First gen Camaros never saw 454's. True votes would have to come from owners of both. Not many 427 and 454 owners would could say one or the other. That is my question, just because bigger makes more power or because of nostalgia.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Sorry to hear your about your 461. How many years did you run it? I had lifter failure on my 331 and it flattened the cam. Saved up to do a crate motor, then neighbor sold me built big block for $1700. His son sold me a Muncie 4 speed for $400, and then I was off to the races. Proud to complete the conversion during Covid. I had to give up waiting on some manufactures due long delays.
I had my 461 built 6 years ago from the ground up with a 73 454 2 bolt main that was standard bore with a factory forged crank And 781 heads. I got the motor for free, total score. A little over a month ago I dropped a valve without any warning. Obliterated the Mahle forged piston, bent the connecting rod into an L and completely blew apart the #6 cylinder barrel as well as the intake valley where the lifters sit. I had about 22,000 fun miles on that motor. I was bummed when it self destructed, but now I can’t wait for the 540 to be complete.

Reactions: SimonKagan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had my 461 built 6 years ago from the ground up with a 73 454 2 bolt main that was standard bore with a factory forged crank And 781 heads. I got the motor for free, total score. A little over a month ago I dropped a valve without any warning. Obliterated the Mahle forged piston, bent the connecting rod into an L and completely blew apart the #6 cylinder barrel as well as the intake valley where the lifters sit. I had about 22,000 fun miles on that motor. I was bummed when it self destructed, but now I can’t wait for the 540 to be complete.
6 years is a good run. My 327 had made it over 50 years. I blame the lack of Zinc in the oil. Has noting to do with racing wide open trottle with trick DZ heads. I hope my 467 makes it at least half the 50 years.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
321 Posts
Seems like some
needs some engine
building help.

That is the only way I would keep a small block in my camaro. I have thought about an l83 5.3 in it.
The biggest thing... is money. I would love a dart based small block... or big block :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts