Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dropped my combo in today, the engine and tranny bolted together, the mounts are all set, the crossmember is fine, I even have a hair or two clearance between the header and the steering box, but when I checked the torque converter to the flywheel nothing lines up. I thought most flywheels had two sets of three holes, this one does but none will line up, about an half in off. What are my options, different flywheel, different converter, both? The converter is the one too small, not sure if drilling new holes in the flywheel woould work or mess up a balance issue, any ideas folks?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Bill, which flywheel do you have?? And which converter do you have??

·
3,386 Posts
Bill,
Drilling three holes wont affect the balance because they are evenly spaced but ..... they need to be on the "pad" that the converter sits on or the front to back spacing will not be correct. Sounds like possibly the wrong flywheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the stock parts (flywheel and converter), the engine is a 81 454 from a Chevy 4 X 4 truck, and the tranny is stock too, came out of a 72 El Camino. I think the drilling part on the flywheel sounds very doable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did not do anything to the engine, just cleaned and painted it, its the flywheel that was on it in the truck.

·
3,386 Posts
Bill.
I dont remember if the oem flywheels came with the dual bolt patterns. Drilling should be fine as long as the converter foot is sitting on the raised pad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts