Team Camaro Tech banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I will be a jerk and say how much do we really use all that power and for what? I just sold my 2010 Vette with supercharger and was the 5th owner on this 22k mile car due to the power which was insane and dangerious IMO, like my 05 Z-51 much better. Unless your doing something other than street driving or whatever. HP is good for bragging rights. I do like my 3 BB cars if nothing else a for the wow factor. Just an old guy talkin.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I will be a jerk and say how much do we really use all that power and for what? I just sold my 2010 Vette with supercharger and was the 5th owner on this 22k mile car due to the power which was insane and dangerious IMO, like my 05 Z-51 much better. Unless your doing something other than street driving or whatever. HP is good for bragging rights. I do like my 3 BB cars if nothing else a for the wow factor. Just an old guy talkin.

Bruce
You're absolutely right Bruce, Unless you're doing some kind of racing, we don't need all that HP, BUT, it is fun to have. And, yes, It's hard to beat that Big Block WOW factor (y)

·
15,491 Posts
Anything over 500 crank is hard to get to the ground. Guess is good for smoking tire though. Lol

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Like where this thread has gone and that its justifying the direction I took with my 427 BBC. Its a Mark IV block, slightly worked 781 heads with bigger valves, recently did Straub valve train and cam, 2" headers, 750 FST carb, RPM performer intake and Straub predicts right at 500 HP and little more than 500 TQ. My butt dyno says that's very accurate. Its right at that point where its a blast to drive on the street but not so powerful, it becomes unusable unless you're trying to go sideways. Its RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT where I wanted it to be. Power to weight ratio is something I don't see many talk about for streetcars.

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
420 Posts
Like where this thread has gone and that its justifying the direction I took with my 427 BBC. Its a Mark IV block, slightly worked 781 heads with bigger valves, recently did Straub valve train and cam, 2" headers, 750 FST carb, RPM performer intake and Straub predicts right at 500 HP and little more than 500 TQ. My butt dyno says that's very accurate. Its right at that point where its a blast to drive on the street but not so powerful, it becomes unusable unless you're trying to go sideways. Its RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT where I wanted it to be. Power to weight ratio is something I don't see many talk about for streetcars.
This is almost exactly the results I am expecting to get. BB wow factor and a hoot to drive and buy tires whenever I want or need too. LOL

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Now take 100lbs off that BB with a set of Aluminum heads. Been waiting on my Brodix heads since April

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That's exactly what I want. I bet that thing idles almost like a stocker too.
I've thought about going to a 383 but... The big block you can drop and make 500hp.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Not quite idling like stock, but listen to the beautiful symphany!

Is that the 229/241 cam? Whatever it is it sounds good! I was thinking about going with his cam for this mild build. I have a custom cam from him in my 489 that he said would make 630 horse and I believe it every bit. It's wild. 3rd gear with nitto nt555s will spin. Hit 4th and everything turns into a blur.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Is that the 229/241 cam? Whatever it is it sounds good! I was thinking about going with his cam for this mild build. I have a custom cam from him in my 489 that he said would make 630 horse and I believe it every bit. It's wild. 3rd gear with nitto nt555s will spin. Hit 4th and everything turns into a blur.
Yup, that's the cam and same one posted below me as well. It'll pull it sideways in second no problem. Its a very quick car now whereas before, it was a low 400 HP big block that made some noise but not quite like it does now. I try to be very honest about the results I get from my choices and with no bias I can say this set up is damn near perfect for the street.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Decent 400 street SBC
good for 550 HP.
A small block making 550hp is a much different animal than a 454 making 550hp.
The big block is much kore docile and streetable than the small block.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yup, that's the cam and same one posted below me as well. It'll pull it sideways in second no problem. Its a very quick car now whereas before, it was a low 400 HP big block that made some noise but not quite like it does now. I try to be very honest about the results I get from my choices and with no bias I can say this set up is damn near perfect for the street.
I agree

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
A docile truck motor in
a hot rod ?
Truck motor 🤣 they first came out in chevelles/corvettes/camaros before any truck. By your idiotic logic we should get rid of the small blocks and LS engines and just throw in a 4 cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Straub Hyd Roller
Adv. 288/300 @ .050 229/241
Lift 600/570 with 1.7
109 Lobe Sep

I just ordered that same cam from Straub for my 540. What are the street manners like? Are you happy with the power output And drivability?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts