Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I would like to install a 454 motor in my 67 camaro. It has the factory SS hood.

I was wondering what intake everyone is using with their 454 or 396 motors? I'm looking at the Edelbrock Performer RPM 2-R part #7163, but it says not to use with stock hood. I would really like to install a 454, but don't want to kill the performance by using the Performer 2-0 part #2161.

If I use the Performer RPM with the drop down air cleaner that is used on 375h.p camaros, will it clear the hood? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Just remember that you can only drop the base down so far before it hits the throttle linkage like on a holly carb. But im sure someone will help you out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anyone out there with a big block with an ss or flat hood? What intake are you using?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The lowest aftermarket intake that I know of is the old Edelbrock Torker.It isnt the best aftermarket intake,but it does make good power and the carb sits very low.It is the one that has the carb sitting on an angle,and is available used in oval and rectangular port.I believe the later Torker 2 is also very low.Good luck.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Edelbrock's Performer Series intakes are all the same height which include the Performer 2-0 (which accepts both Spread Bore and Square Carbs), RPM and RPM Air Gap.

The Performer 2-0 with say a 750 Holley Dp on a low compression 454 with Cam and Headers is a very Nice Budget Engine. They will not fit under a Stock Hood unless you hole it and bolt on a LT1 Scoop.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
No, the performer RPM is about 3/8" taller than a performer 2.

AVG height = Performer 2-0 = 4.85
...............= RPM Air Gap = 5.225
...............= Torker 2 = 3.825

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So will the Performer 2-0 work? If so how bad is it going to hurt the performance compared to Performer RPM?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I have the Performer 2 on my 454 with 750 Eddy sitting on a 1/2 inch heat spacer. I also have 4.5 inch air filter (from base to spin nut). No issues with clearance BUT I have a cowl hood. Let me know if you need some measurements.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 454 and a SS style hood, I run a Torker II manifold and a 1 1/2" drop plate with a 14" x 2" air cleaner. It is a single plane that sits really low. If you want dual plane try Weiland, I think they have a low dual plane, maybe you can get some measurements from them and compare with Edelbrocks measurements.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry I am too lazy to look it up, but I thought that there was a Victor intake that was fairly low. I know it is a single plane, but they seem to run pretty well on the bigger motors.

EDIT - sorry, after looking it up, I guess I was thinking of the Torker

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The Torker is the way to go for clearance.If you run the Troker,check the port match to your heads.Some of them are real small to match peanut port type heads.Port matching a Torker goes a long way toward making the power of the more modern intakes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone, I wanted to first say thanks for everyone's post. After reading everyones post I have another question. Since I would like to keep my SS hood on my 67camaro and it doesn't look like I can get a Performer RPM intake under the hood , how would you guys build a 30 over 454 that will be used for the street? I'll be using a Tremec 5 speed, no air, 373 gear and power brakes. Thanks again for all your help.

Tony

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Hi Tony,

I used Edelbrock Performer on my 69 vert 396. Used factory drop down air cleaner from
Ground Up. But you need to get factory 375HP Holley Carb gas line and throttle setup. I use 1/4 inch plastic spacer and I have SS hood. I used a 1 1/8 sway bar and the motor mounts moved the motor up, so I had to remove the hood insulation, it was a tight fit but worked.

Motor recomm. 454, .30 over with 10.5:1 or 11:0:1 compression, Aluminum Heads, 1.7 roller rockers and a street/agressvie cam...

:)

Jeff G.
69 RS/SS 396 Vert
69 RS/SS 454 Hardtop

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Im using an Edelbrock RPM Performer Air Gap in my 69 w SS hood. And a cheap 25 drop base air cleaner with $10 worth of 396 stickers on it. You can see pictures in my sig.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Microgiant, I was wondering if you remember how you got the Performer RPM Air-Gap to work under the SS hood? I'd really like to use this intake if I could, but I've been reading that Performer RPM Air-Gap won’t fit with a big block under the SS hood. What frame and engine mounts did you use? Are you having any problems with the air cleaner rubbing the bottom of the hood? Are you using a 2in. or 3in. air cleaner?

Thanks Again,
Tony

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have run the stock SS hood with the Air Gap on my 68. Air cleaner was a weird size between 2"-3". I am using factory big block mounts which I installed because somebody left the small block mounts when they put a big block in the car.

Now using a spacer plate and nitrous plate so had to go to a 2" cowl and now can run the 3" air cleaner. I really like the look of the SS hood though.

So you should be able to get it to work as long as you can find a short enough air cleaner, which some folks do not like. And when I say it fit, it barely fit (You can't have any extra air cleaner stud out of the Holley- CHECK IT carefully). The other thing was I wanted to run one of the air cleaner tops that has the filter built in but I think it had too much peak in the center - I just ended up running the chrome lid.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I have a Wieand intake, no spacer and an O-3310 carb with an aftermarket version of the factory drop base with a 3" filter and I had to go with the factory height (69 style) cowl hood just so it would fit (I had to trim the carb stud so it would clear by ~ 1/8"). I also have BB style frame stands.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have run the stock SS hood with the Air Gap on my 68. Air cleaner was a weird size between 2"-3". I am using factory big block mounts which I installed because somebody left the small block mounts when they put a big block in the car.

Now using a spacer plate and nitrous plate so had to go to a 2" cowl and now can run the 3" air cleaner. I really like the look of the SS hood though.

So you should be able to get it to work as long as you can find a short enough air cleaner, which some folks do not like. And when I say it fit, it barely fit (You can't have any extra air cleaner stud out of the Holley- CHECK IT carefully). The other thing was I wanted to run one of the air cleaner tops that has the filter built in but I think it had too much peak in the center - I just ended up running the chrome lid.
How was the performance with the 2in air cleaner compared to the 3in you are running now?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts