Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 454 (aprox 400hp) in my 68 and it came to me with a flex fan on it and a makeshift radiator shroud.. It had the wrong engine stands/mounts installed and once i put the right ones in, the makeshift shroud will no longer fit.

Running a flex fan with no shroud makes me nervous. Doesnt seem like a good idea, seems like an accident waiting to happen. Opinions? Id rather not buy a repro shroud.

Can a BB be cooled with only an electric fan?? I happen to have the pusher model of this fan sitting in my garage http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/30100400_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH
Would this be sufficient?? I dont really understand the spec chart. How would it compare with the flex fan on there now?

edit: i found a conversion calc that shows the 2200 m3h=1294 cfm

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Jeff you can do either or... If you already have an electric setting there then it wouldnt hurt to try it. I personaly am using a stock 4-core and 7-blade clutch fan non-thermal with a shroud and love it.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I have a 454 (aprox 400hp) in my 68 and it came to me with a flex fan on it and a makeshift radiator shroud.. It had the wrong engine stands/mounts installed and once i put the right ones in, the makeshift shroud will no longer fit.

Running a flex fan with no shroud makes me nervous. Doesnt seem like a good idea, seems like an accident waiting to happen. Opinions? Id rather not buy a repro shroud.

Can a BB be cooled with only an electric fan?? I happen to have the pusher model of this fan sitting in my garage http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/30100400_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH
Would this be sufficient?? I dont really understand the spec chart. How would it compare with the flex fan on there now?

edit: i found a conversion calc that shows the 2200 m3h=1294 cfm
Jeff, I'm using a flex fan with factory style shroud plus an electric pusher fan as a back up.

David F.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
They flatten out only at high rpm which is when the fan doesnt do anything anyways....
..and when you do need air at high rpm, too bad.:p
So when you're on the chassis dyno or doing a nice burnout (car not moving) you don't need air flow?

I had a car that would only lock up the clutch in traffic and on the freeway. The clutch knew what it was doing. A flex would have allowed that car to overheat at speed. No idea why airflow at speed was bad on that car, but who cares? It ran cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts