Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello guys,

i am searching for the parts to swap the 327 to a 454.
the car is a '67. the BB is a '85.

i have an engine mount (or bracket??) which seems to fit
the 454. it says part # 14039436.
as i am looking at the correct frame mounts i presume
these two won't fit.

so now i am wondering are all years of BB engine mounts the same ?
will the mounts described in http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1271327&postcount=9
fit a 85 BB ?

just to be sure that i don't pay a lot of money for a bracket, shipping and import taxes ... :clonk:

thanks in advance :bow:

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
all Chevy V8 engines from '58 up until the LS engines came out use the same engine mounts- you could physically bolt a 409 into a '75 Monza that had a 350- but the frame mounts vary from car to car and from year to year and from engine to engine.
to put the '85 big block into your 67 Camaro, you need '67 Camaro frame and engine mounts for a 396. you may also need to swap the oil pan, since an '85 454 will be out of a truck of some sort and the oil pan may not clear the crossmember.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks novaderrik for the headsup on the oil-pan.
what the max height of the pan on a 85 BB in the '67 ?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
all Chevy V8 engines from '58 up until the LS engines came out use the same engine mounts.
I hate to disagree with you, but NO !

In 1969 Chevrolet went to the tall and narrow engine mount. Prior to this they had the short and wide engine mounts in the 67's and 68's. There were actually two versions of the short and wide mounts for the 6 3/4" vs the 8" Harmonic balancer.

The engine mounts will bolt to any Chevy V-8 engine (non-LS), but they are not the same.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Here is a work in progress, cross reference. That may help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aaargh, the plot thickens :wacko:

handy referencechart, but ...
i need the 67-68 frame mount, right.
then i presume only the '67-68 396 engine mount will fit these ?
but will these also my '85 454 ? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Yes, you should use the 67/68 Big Block frame stands (mounts) and the 67/68 396 Engine mounts. Yes, they will fit your 454.

Question for you... are you going to use a 67/68 short water pump or the 69 long water pump ? Your alternator is on the driver's side in a 67/68 and it would be on the passenger side on a '69. (It probably is on the '85 also.)

You must use all the accessory brackets AND the pulleys for the corresponding short or long water pump. You can not mix them !

Oh and by the way, if you have just started this swap... it isn't as easy, as everyone says it is.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
I hate to disagree with you, but NO !

In 1969 Chevrolet went to the tall and narrow engine mount. Prior to this they had the short and wide engine mounts in the 67's and 68's. There were actually two versions of the short and wide mounts for the 6 3/4" vs the 8" Harmonic balancer.

The engine mounts will bolt to any Chevy V-8 engine (non-LS), but they are not the same.
please re-read my post..
i said all V8's bolt into the same mounts- i didn't say all cars used the same mounts. i even stated to use the proper big block engine and frame side mounts for the car in question..
that is a problem that GM (mostly) took care of in the mid 70's, with pretty much every car and truck with a V8 using the same mounting setups (except the Monza and Vette) all the way up until the '96 B bodies, '97 F bodies, and '98 light duty pickups.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
all Chevy V8 engines from '58 up until the LS engines came out use the same engine mounts- you could physically bolt a 409 into a '75 Monza that had a 350- but the frame mounts vary from car to car and from year to year and from engine to engine.
to put the '85 big block into your 67 Camaro, you need '67 Camaro frame and engine mounts for a 396. you may also need to swap the oil pan, since an '85 454 will be out of a truck of some sort and the oil pan may not clear the crossmember.
Novaderrick,

No, that is NOT what you said, it may be what you WANTED to say, but it is not what you said. I am not going to argue about it, I was surprised that you said what you did ! You are usually quite Knowledgeable. You, read it again... you did not say what you think you did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thanks everyone for the discussion on the mount. :thumbsup:

i'm just still wondering about the height of the oil pan...

about brackets and pulleys i'll worry later.
i already had serpentine conversion pulleys for the SB, but changed plans.
everything was on the 454:
SI alternator (if i remember it was on the passenger side)
waterpump
even a powersteeringpump and an airco-compressor...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts