Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am going to start installing 454 soon. I found out that 454 might be externally balanced.
1. Is there a code on the engine to tell me if it is internal or external balanced or what do I look for to tell me which it is. The 454 was in a 74 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with Auto Trans. Flex plate looks like it is counter balanced.
2. I am installing in front of Toploader tranny is there a 454 balanced Flywheel I need to look for.
Thanks in advance
MT

·
Registered
46 Posts
you can use a regular flywheel if you get a counter balancer plate that goes between the flywheel and the crank. competition products sells them for $18.95 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

So am I correct in thinking that on install the weight on the harmonic balancer should be 180 degrees from the from the counter balancer plate. Let say harmonic balancer weight at 6:00 position and counter balancer plate at 12:00 position on the crank shaft.

MT 68 conv

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking at the engine I don't think that my last post is right. I now think the purpose is to counter balance the crank. Correct?
So new Question how do you establish the install position for the counter balance plate for a 454?
Should both weights be in alignment?(counter balancer plate and the harmonic balancer)

Sorry for the confusion.
MT 68 conv

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Originally posted by MT 68 conv:
After looking at the engine I don't think that my last post is right. I now think the purpose is to counter balance the crank. Correct?
So new Question how do you establish the install position for the counter balance plate for a 454?
Should both weights be in alignment?(counter balancer plate and the harmonic balancer)

Sorry for the confusion.
MT 68 conv
The correct 454 harmonic balancer already has the weight, and is indexed to the crank by the key. The weighted 454 flywheel/flexplate is also indexed to the crank by the dowel pin in the crank and the extra hole in the flywheel.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Yes what John said and the blance plate mounts the same with a non-weighted flywheel to balance right.. (Use the crank flange's dowel pin hole as a line-up reference)...

And isn't the balance plate marked which side is "to flange" or something like that??

pdq67

·
3,426 Posts
MT,
I know a lot of guys have used the balance plate without problems, but .... on a stick shift car I would not use it. Sort of like wheel spacers, the plate is a "band aid", not a true fix. Get the correct flywheel, they are not all that expensive.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy's

That's what I needed to know!

Just doing a quick fix till summer. I will need a new clutch and flywheel soon. We just miss enjoying a short cruise now and then.

Thanks MT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts