Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what all is needed to put a 454bb inplace of a 305sb in a 1979 camaro?the trans is a you guessed it stock th350,stock 8.5 rearend.car is mostly stock with the excetion of a crappy true duals set up.i know i could use the stock motor mounts,the th350 beefed up,even the 8.5 beefed up but what all do i need to get the car where it would be a "fun" car?it will be a street/strip car.thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It will need a radiator upgrade. The 8.5 should be ok, they are almost as good as a 12 bolt. I cant say for sure if it will fit under the stock hood or not. Headers should be easy to get. It may need a new larger fuel line from tank. might have to change brake booster too. I think you should do it!
Is it a stock 454?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do it but make sure you get new mounts. They are cheap and good insurance when you figure yours are probably 30 years old and the 454 has a little more power and weight than the 305.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Build a 383 and stay with the small block. It will save you, on having to replace springs, radiator, gas line, etc...

·
Registered
191 Posts
The clamshell mounts rarely need replacing, and if you do, it's a little bit tricky (not impossible) to get the things bolted in. With clamshells, the rubber can be bad, and the engine will still be held in by the bolt. Some clamshells have an extra tab on each end that will prevent them from being mated to the solid engine mount. If you run into this when replacing mounts, you can cut the tabs off, if necessary.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the 454 bolts right in, with only different headers needed. all wires and hoses hook up like stock, except the oil pressure sending unit goes down by the oil filter on the big block. you will also need the proper front accessory brackets, but your PS pump and alternator and AC compressor should work with the big block brackets.
the radiator may or may not work- won't know until you try.
stock radiator and heater hoses should work.
if running a mechanical fan, then the fan shroud will need to be modified or replaced.
the stock springs should work fine, unless they are already lower than stock and the extra weight pushes them down farther.
the trans may or may not hold up to the abuse- plan for an upgrade and get it lined up before the stock TH350 blows up.
the stock rear end will hold up, but a gear change and posi diff install may be in order.

to summarize, get going on putting it in and change what needs to be changed as you go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts