Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to start the 454 later this week. The engine has a roller cam, 9.5:1 CR and bored .040 over.
Is there any difference in breaking in a rebuilt engine as opposed to a new crate motor. Is there anything I should be specifically looking for on start up? I have an oil pressure, engine temp, vacuum and fuel pressure guage ready.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
return spring on the clutch fork and the trans in nuetral or you will be wearing that yoke.Gear lube in the manual trans?Wheres the timing light?

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Yeah what cam are you running and put a large fan up front to help cool down also the headers are going to glow if its not running a little on the rich side.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm definitely going to video this start up. Got the fire extinguisher. Fan in front of the rad is a good idea, I will do that. Got oil in the tranny but I forgot about putting the clutch return spring on. Thats why I asked and usual, you guys deliver. Thanks. Post the vid as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Yeah what cam are you running and put a large fan up front to help cool down also the headers are going to glow if its not running a little on the rich side.
Roller cam with no load on the engine.. Headers won't get at all hot.

PS. How do you post just the urls of Youtube links instead of the way it's shown here??

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'm getting ready to start the 454 later this week. The engine has a roller cam, 9.5:1 CR and bored .040 over.
Is there any difference in breaking in a rebuilt engine as opposed to a new crate motor. Is there anything I should be specifically looking for on start up? I have an oil pressure, engine temp, vacuum and fuel pressure guage ready.
Just looking at your pics again.. I know that the radiator support may sway a little and your fan will have some pulling power. Perhaps you should try to secure the support so the fan doesn't pull the support inward and mince your radiator's core once the engine is running..
..and to answer your Q, you have a roller cam, so just crank, fire, and run it.
If it's a solid, once it gets to about 180F, check your lash setting.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, good observation on the radiator support. I tightened the support bolts but it does move a little because of the rubber bushings. I will brace the support with some channel iron. That will sturdy it up substantially.
In additionto the pics above, I added a 1/2 inch phenolic spacer. It's flat on one side and has cast in spaces on the other. Can anyone tell me which side faces the underside of the carb?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts