Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to put a decent powered 496 into my Chevelle sometime this summer. I've got a '94 Chevy Silverado C1500 truck that is totalled and I don't think we'll be able to sell much for, though it was in good condition. I've been told the tranny is either a TH700-R4 or a 4L60E, and that it is a good candidate for a swap into my Chevelle behind that big block. I haven't IDed it yet, but I have a couple of questions. Will this fit in my Chevelle (under the body fit, not driveshaft length)? I think I saw a kit that can make this not use the computer (since my Chevelle doesn't have one), is this possible? If not, would I just gank the computer from the truck and put it in the Chevelle? I did a search and read that these can probably support the power, but not hard shifting, but I don't plan to power shift/stall on the street. This would be a mainly street car (a fun one at that) but would need it to handle a once-every-other-month night at the drags. Mainly the OD would be nice. I currently have a TH-350 and it and the block are original to my SS so wanted to take those out so I don't ruin/damage them. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
In 1994, the transmission in there should be a 4l60E. That means that all shifting is controlled by the computer. Unfortunately, its not that easy to put the computer from the suburban into your Chevelle because the computer takes input to shift based on a number of variables from various engine sensors and I don't know how you would get that to work with your engine in there. There are however aftermarket computers that you can put in the chevelle to get the 4l60E to work. TCI makes one. But it could be very pricey.

And if you are going to go the 4L60E or 700r4 route, I would highly recommend a performance rebuild by a reputable shop.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts