Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure if this is the proper place for this particular build, but I have some questions as I get started with this build. It will likely be a slower build as I assemble components and prepare them for installation.

I currently have a 93 z28 that I was planning on building into a 383 stroker but simply put, I've always wanted a big block.. I've done all the research for the 383, but now looking into the 454s I'm realizing it's even more involved, which is perfectly fine, but I'm not sure which 454 would be best for this application. It will be a semi-daily driver and not a drag car, but I would like to have it in the neighbor of 450-500hp and as much torque as I can get.

I don't want to have to hack up the cowl and ruin the windshield frame so I'm leaning more toward efi for better clearance. Is there a certain block# or gen, mark etc. I should be looking for for this application?

TL DR: Which 454 would be best suited for a 450-500hp EFI application for semi-daily driving?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
38 Posts
For 450-500hp and daily driver-ish build, ditch the big block idea. There's too much that has to be cut up and modified and it's all going to be a waste if you're going to put a stockish pig of a 454 in it. An LT1 with a good set of heads, and a cam will make close to what you want to do, and keep everything in the factory location. If you were going for an all out drag car I'd say a big block would be awesome, but they're very hard to fit into 93-02 F bodies and it just isn't practical for what you're after in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
For 450-500hp and daily driver-ish build, ditch the big block idea. There's too much that has to be cut up and modified and it's all going to be a waste if you're going to put a stockish pig of a 454 in it. An LT1 with a good set of heads, and a cam will make close to what you want to do, and keep everything in the factory location. If you were going for an all out drag car I'd say a big block would be awesome, but they're very hard to fit into 93-02 F bodies and it just isn't practical for what you're after in my opinion.
X2. As much as I love big blocks, I never would put one in my '93 Z28. What a nightmare for a non-purpose built race car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 4th gen has a 427 SBC which is basically the same process as the BBC install. You need to touch every system on the car to get it to work. The biggest issue I had was the cooling system. I would rethink a BBC for cruiser applications. At a minimum you'll be losing AC, windshield wipers and probably heat. not to mention the cost on such an undertaking is pretty high. If you move forward and have any questions feel free to ask.

~Jim~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts