Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use T/A seats from a '93-'02 T/A pictured below. I know that it has been done in the front....I need to know whether you have to modify the donor car's seat tracks to fit the first-gen floors or did you retro-fit the newer seats to fit your first gen seat tracks?

The other question is......has anyone used the newer F-Body rear seats as well for the first gen cars? I really like the looks of the rear lower seats from the newer cars, but I think there will be some modifications needed. I would also think that it wpould be easy to make this a modern day "rear fold down seat" as well by welding a pair of stricker bolts to the chassis.

Any feedback is much appreciated! :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CFunk,

I tried the link to the pictures & the discussion of the install from your web page, but I could not get the photos of kobuzz's install to appear. :(

His description of the seat brackets installation helped me finally decide that these will be the seats in my car!

I would also like to see what Dennis (DjD) is doing.....does anybody know?

Once again I really appreciate all of your help fellas!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DjD,

Thanks for the post; it really answered a few questions I had concerning the front seat tracks..... :D

You are a prime source of information concerning the potential rear seat swap I am interested in. You see; I don't have the 4th gen seats yet to measure for myself....Is there any way you could measure the seat back on your '96 & '69 to determine if they are even close? I would like to know if it is realtively possible to make this a modern day "rear fold down seat" in a 1st gen by welding a pair of stricker bolts to the chassis for the 4th gen rear seat back levers to lock on to.

I also really like the looks of the rear lower seats from the 4th gen. I'm pretty sure they will fit the 1st gen car, but there may be some seat frame modifications needed.... no big deal

You are the only person that I know of that owns both body styles at the same time....lucky you!

Don't go out of your way, but any info is good info!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CFunk,

Your link works perfectly, but once I link to the old discussion and then click on kobuzz's install photos from the old discussion link; I cannot get anything to appear.

His photos were probably hosted by an old service that he no longer carries, etc. Afterall it was a posting from quite awhile ago.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Hey Rich I'll help where I can on the rear seat issue but my ragtop rear seat is different than a coupe. First it isn't a fold down and second the ragtop seat is narrower to allow for the tops moving parts.

I'm not too partial to the 4th gen rear seat cushions, the rear mounting point is velcro and every time someone climbs in and out of the back seat it takes me 10 minutes fiddling with them to dig out the seatbelts and position them properly.

The most obvious issue is the carpet in the rear would need to be extended to the seat back.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DjD,

No hurry on the measurements...I actually knew that your '69 was a "vert" but I had a case of brain fade

First it isn't a fold down and second the ragtop seat is narrower to allow for the tops moving parts.
The '93-'02 reat seat is not a fold down style? I thought that they were all fold down unless convertable as well....is your '96 a convertable too?

the rear mounting point is velcro and every time someone climbs in and out of the back seat it takes me 10 minutes fiddling with them to dig out the seatbelts and position them properly.
You've got to be pulling my leg?? The lower reat seats are velcro'ed to the floor on the 4th gen cars??

The most obvious issue is the carpet in the rear would need to be extended to the seat back.
I thought about that one and I'm pretty sure that Auto Custom Carpets will accomodate my request on that one if I ask them nicely. :D

On another note...I know that I am relatively new to this board and in no way consider myself as an authority on the first gens just yet, but how does one become elected as a "Tech Team" member? I was just wondering because I have gotten mostly friendly & informative advice, but I do see some questionable advice/attitude being thrown around from time to time from Tech Team members. Just an observation.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Rich - I was talking about the '69 not being fold down, you are correct the 4th gens all have a fold down. The 4th gens seat back width is apx 43" between the latches and fit between apx 43 1/2" area between the left and right side of the interior of the car. At the hump the seat back is apx 19" and apx 21" in the area where passangers would sit.

I was also incorrect about the velcro!! I knew but neglected to say there was 1 bolt in the center front edge of each cushion that fastens it to the floor and there is nothing holding the back of the cushion in place other than it gets tucked under the seat back a little. I thought there was velcro because I found a couple pieces under one seat that I think was leftover from my dash cover... Ya, the rear seat cushions leave something to be desired!! Oh, they are apx 19" x 19" by 6" The area where you set your butt is only about 2" thick though. :eek:

Hope that helps... PS. The "Tech Team" comes after a few more posts. It an automatic thing!!

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Thought I would add this link. http://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=002043 Jim (click) has adapter plates to allow moving the seat back farther. Using the same idea for the 4th gen seats but offsetting the holes to match the 4th gen track mounting points. The driver side power will just need the same type of plate. The passanger seat needs about a 2" spacer in the front on top of each plate... Shouldn't be a big deal...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts