Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planing on buying 4th generation camaro wheels for my 67 it is lowered 2inches in the front and an inch in the rear i was wondering what is involved in putting these wheels into the car. what needs to be changed also how safe is it and does anyone have any pics of it done. thanx

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
What 4th gen wheels? 16" Z28 or 17" SS wheels? Both have too much back spacing to fit a 1st gen without adapters that cost a couple hundred dollars...

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
Those are 17 x 9 or 17 x 9.5 and have 7" of back spacing. On a 1st gen 5.5" back spacing is the most you can run on a 17 x 9.5" wheel in the rear so you'll need a 2" thick adapter. Also you can't run more than a 17 x 8 on the front without modifications. The guys I know running the zr1's have removed the inner fenders up front along with the 2" adapters....

·
Registered
955 Posts
Personally, I think that 2 inch adapters on any vehicle increases the risk of failure. You have moved the centerline of support two inches farther out from the axle flange than the original design was made to accomodate. Just my .02.

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
69x - that's something to think about but what's the difference if a wheel pad has an extra 2" built into it? I know guys using the 2" addapters and their cars see track duty without any obvious issues. It seems to me the load on axle bearings would be increased but it doesn't seem to be causing anyone problems...

·
Registered
955 Posts
DJD, Like I said, it's just a personal opinion. The different thickness in wheel pads usually still aligns most of the pads with the centerline of the wheel/axle flange or pretty close. In all likelyhood, the damage to the axle bearings would not come about for quite awhile. Even if it cuts their life in half, you could still get anywhere between 50 - 75K out of them. Again, just my opinion and you know what they are like!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been running the 17 x 9" ZR1 style wheels (Camaro SS wheels) w/ 2" adapters for about 2 years on my '69. I check the torque of the spacers about each 6 mos and never found anything loose. I have run the car at auto-crosses.
I had to use a short 255/40-17 tire on the front 17 x 9 wheel to get clearance. I have a stock 2" lowered supsension, except for Heidt upper control arms and Guldstrand mod. It is very close, I had to grind the rear bolts that connect the inner fender to the outer fender to get clearance in turns. Each car is different, so one must measure carefully.

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got pictures, but no way to post them. I could e-mail them to you if you wish!

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts