Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down at a few local junk yards two weeks ago looking for a small plastic piece for my truck. At every yard I was at, I asked how much for one of the 5.3 motors. My truck is in the 151000+ range now, and I'm not an easy guy on the gas. At every yard I was told $500. This seems like a good price. But my thoughts continued onto my 67 Camaro. Would this make a good conversion motor if I was to put an LS1 intake or a carburated swap intake on? Has anyone already used this motor?
Thanks
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Prices seem pretty good. My buddy has a 57 chevy we are dropping an LQ4 from a Hummer into and he got the engine for like $1500.
You need an ignition controller and to work out the intake issue- carb or FI. I might stash my original 327 and do this one day in my Camaro.

·
19,900 Posts
Seen a few on the LS sites.... not bad price at all :noway: but comes down to what it comes with too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
thats a good price and most i see at junk yards come with everything from intake and throttle body down to oil pan with all accessories and brackets.If you do get one and are going to rebuild it you can punch the cylinders out to a standard bore 5.7 LS1 and put whatever induction system you want on it,makes a great engine.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
$500 is okay, I've had numerous friends find them for around $350 complete with harness and all, some of them even with after market cams already installed.
I would highly suggest researching the swap more, and possibly following some LQ builds on LS1 tech to avoid going to a carb. You won't get much better mileage with a carb on an lq/ls vs. a gen I sbc... IMHO if you're gonna do an LS or LQ I'd highly suggest keeping the efi, nothing beats having an engine management system, they are practically indestructible with everything they monitor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I went from a tuned port 305 (dont laugh I didnt put it in there) to an LS1 with a 4L60E. This was not that hard of a swap, as I had just removed an EFI engine. You talk about waking a car up. As aces's 68 said you can beat the managment part of this. You can set all of the engine and trans perameters from your laptop with a tuning program. i am lucky my buddy has the program on his laptop and does all of my tuning for me. He's always wanting me to bring my car over so he can tune on it. he loves that kind of stuff, lemme see if I can get a pic posted for you. I sure enjoy the swap and I think its well worth the money.
Scott

before

after

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if the 5.3 intake will fit under a cowl hood, or if putting an ls1 intake on it would be required for it to fit?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wonder if the 5.3 intake will fit under a cowl hood, or if putting an ls1 intake on it would be required for it to fit?

I dont think it will fit its pretty tall compared to an ls1 intake but you can pick them up pretty cheap for a stocker maybe even free lol or 200-300 for an ls6 off corvettes or 2001-2002 camaro or trans am.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just remember the LS1 intake won't fit with the truck accesories....

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is a sticky over in the hybrid section of ls1tech which indicates that you can do the 5.3 l swap for $1500. That section is VERY helpful for this kind of swap. The sticky is called low budget ls swap $1500 or something. Check it out.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The truck accessories/brackets are too high to allow the TB to mount on the lS1 intake. The intake fits the motor fine, just need to run different accesories- Fbody/vette, GTO, etc. Check out the link on LS1tech mentioned above. Scott

·
Registered
220 Posts
the truck acc can work with an ls1 intake, you need to move an idler pully (kitsare availble for around $50) and an 08+ truck waterpump.. did it on my friends 69 gto swap, worked like a champ.. also see my thread on here I documented my ls1 swap, which is essentially the same as a 5.3..

·
Registered
662 Posts
I bought one...had in punched out to a 5.7 ls1. Installed forged piston and rods, PRC heads ETMC comp cam. Going to install a magnacharger. I'm hoping for 550 to the hoops...the long block..I have 5100.00 in it...I kinda over did the block...should be able to hold 800-1000 horse though..better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
I have a line on a bunch of 5.3L GM LS truck engines - complete longblocks, never fired. Price is around $1K. PM me if interested. No, I am not the one selling them, but I can put you in touch with the guy if you are interested. I bought a 454 Gen VI engine from him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts