Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) Can anyone tell me how much a small block, 10 bolt, 1968 Camaro weighs? Approximate.

2.) Are any of you running a 2-piece timing chain cover? Are those any good? Any problems with them?

3.) Any recommendations on the best degreaser?

4.) AGR power steering box or DS&E rebuild of my stock unit? The price is about the same.

5.) How many of you have tilt-wheel? Is it really all that important? I'm looking at getting one from Flaming River but am debating between a tilt or non-tilt. The tilt is $297.

Thanks everyone. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Infamous,

I'm 6' 1" tall and really struggle to get into a first gen Camaro. My leg hits the steering wheel pretty hard when trying to get in, even with the seat all the way back, (which isn't very far back, I don't know why the factory put the seats this far forward). I'm also not certain if there are different diameter wheels, but I have to believe there are. My last 68 was the one that my leg wouldn't clear the steering wheel, it had manual steering, possibly the wheel is larger diameter? My previous 68 Z was not a problem nor was the 69 Z before that. My 69 SS has a cage in it, so getting in around the steering wheel is the last of my worries with that car. I'd definitely look for a tilt wheel unless you are under 6' tall.

Also I haven't tried one yet, but plan on trying a Cloyes aluminum cover with the removable cover over the cam gear.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
1) About 3300 lbs depending on what you left inside of it.....interior, fiberglass parts, aluminum parts; heads- h20pump- radiator-, the delete options list (you're own list, not factory)....etc

2) Yes, I have been using them for quite some time now on engine builds. Sometimes the fit around the pan seal needs to be file fit at the block to pan surface to prevent leaks.

3) What are you trying to degrease? Does it involve a painted surface? Is this to clean or prep for paint/sealer?

4) Try LEE power steering. A little cheaper and its a better box. He hand fits the balls to the worm drive......no body else does..... http://www.leepowersteering.com/
I know quite a few people that have the AGR and like them.

5) Tilt is way cool......especially if you plan to ever work under the dash. Flip it up and you have more room to contort yourself.....

·
Super Moderator
33,290 Posts
Some answers to your questions, as others have said and given good answers,

1. As chicane67 stated, 3300# - good figure, I agree
2. Depends upon brand. Mr Gasket has a two-piece consisting of a frame for the front oil pan seal, then a cover to bolt over the chain. This set up works very well when changing the timing chain & sprockets later in life, don't have to drop the oil pan to r&r t/cover. The other brand, Proform(?), has their cover cut in half midway in the overall length of the cover. Still have to remove oil pan to remove cover & crank sprocket.
3. Greased Lightning
4. Don't know. Like chicane67 suggested, try Lee. I might go with Flaming River or AGR, IMO.
5. Go for tilt! Nothing wrong with tilt, adds a little class, but, if it breaks and you need parts, where do you get them?

These are my thoughts and opinions, everybody has them, just like other things......

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I will be degreasing an engine block and some front suspension parts.

Also, are those Lee boxes modified to give a new car feel like the AGR and DS&E boxes? Or are they just standard rebuilds.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
2) I forgot about the ones Everett mentioned......I forgot to mention that I was describing the two-piece aluminum type.

3) I will second the 'greasd lightning'.

4) The boxes that Tom builds are from stock replacements to full blown race cars.....and everything in between. He also adds some ability to tune the box feel, so simply stated, yes it does change the feel. That primarily is done by changing the pressure relief valve, which can be done in 5 lb incriments. The 'hand' fitment of the balls to the worm drive take out all of the slop associated with the sagnaw type boxes. AGR and DSE are now doing what Mr. Lee has been doing for 30 years..... even if you dont go with a Lee box, give him a call, the information you will learn will be invaluable.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Tony,

I put a flaming river tilt in my 67 last month, very easy install, I bought it from these guys for $275 http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=363&fcmd=item&inmake=all , it will be drop shipped from flaming river, I also bought the billet joint 13/16" 36 spline to Double D, the billet dash mount, and the 4 1/2 inch female GM connector. With all this after painting the column it took maybe 30 minutes to install, just make sure you test fit before painting. I'll try and get some pictures up today.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Tony if you are gong to go with a stock tilt column, I highly recomend buying a second for parts. 67-8 columns are getting hard to find parts for. Also pull off the plastic sheath and look closely at the lower housing tube cage. If it's distorted at all leave it and look for another. The outer housing tube and the steering shaft are both designed to collapse in a head on collision. Neither are available as of a few years ago. Some of the bearings are no longer available as well. I picked up a standard column for a floor shift car for only $40 at a recent show. It's worth many times that for parts to me. 69 columns by the way you can get parts everywhere for today.

Funk VERY well put "I'd give my right leg for a tilt column". LOL

·
Registered
583 Posts
This is gonna kill you guys with dial up........
I bought:
Paintable steel Tilt column FR20006
Billet dash mount FR20114
Female connector kit FR20118
Billet Joint steering FR1758
Hope that helps, in their search box enter flaming river and all the other parts will come up. Jerry

[ 05-27-2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: sherr20 ]

·
Registered
583 Posts
Chicane, I believe it is the 32 inch length, after install, i think a 30" might be better, I am 5-8, and with the steering wheel tilted at the normal driving angle and my seat in what I think is all the way back I cannot put a large drink between my legs without the wheel being in the way. So it begs the question, must a tilt column pass the big drink test?? no, but I think a 30 inch would be great too. thanks on the install, not bad for a one armed man, I did it while my left arm was still broken and inop, amazing how I had adapted over the last 6 months only using one arm....oh, try putting in a new intake manifold with one arm....it can be done!!!

Tony, the female connector is required, or buy an adapter plug from them, depends if you have a 8 or 9 pin, Rick's also sells the GM 4 1/2 inch to 8 or 9 pin adapter. The Billet dash mount is kind of required, you could use the factory clamp, but the column shaft is a bit smaller than factory so it doesnt snug it good, you could shim it. The stock plastic shrouds without the factory bottom clamp will not go back on, but I polished my Billet clamp and it looks good without it. If my car was a numbers matching i'd find a rebuilt column from like ricks, but this gives a custom and clean look, and is very well made. Oh, the steering U joint will be required, the old rag joint will not adapt, I think the U joint looks much better than the rag joint anyway. If you have anymore questions just ask, i think you would be happy with the column from flaming river, a very well made piece. Jerry

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,710 Posts
Infamous, I put an Ididit column in mine, the custom one for 67-68 camaro's. The price was the same as the Flaming River one ($299 last year), both packages are pretty similiar. I choose the Ididit because when I had several questions concerning the columns (for comparison), the Ididit customer service answered all of my questions where as the Flaming River guys didn't seem to have a clue. For the most part both columns have pretty good reputations.

It was also easy to install and get "their" rag joint with it. I used the adapter harness and mine works like a champ. I also got the billet handles for mine.

I got the AGR steering box (fast ratio) also and like it. Hope this help, let me know if you need more info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts