Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into converting my 68 camaro automatic into a 5 or 6 speed Tremec tranny. Has anyone used either the Keisler kit or the Classic Chevy 5 Speed kit. They both advertise direct bolt in kits. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either kit.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I did not use one of their kits but have had TKO 500 & 600 . I would recommend using the Classic 5 speed people . They have helped many members with their kits as well as problems with other transmissions. Good people.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I bought my tko500 used, from Don actually. The CC5S people were EXTREMELY helpful in supporting me to get it installed and working, and I did use their crossmember. Jeff & Jim are long time members of this forum, and are now sponsors. They have helped many here implement this fabulous upgrade. This post http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101632 by Jeff of CC5S will answer most if not all of your questions.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Ask me how it went in a couple of weeks. I just ordered CC5S kit today.

Paul :beers:

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I figure that the car isn't odd enough just yet, so the 5 speed will just add to it.:D

Just got a call from UPS today & the tranny is at the border. Should be here for the weekend!!:thumbsup:

Now if the snow would stop & the temperature would get above zero.........

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ryfry68
We both use Tremec transmissions but there are some significant differences in how we deal with the offset shifter and some of the components. Give me a call or email and I will help you out with any questions you may have.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Well it's in & seems to work like a dream.

No serious issues with the install. I highly recommend this swap for anyone looking to add overdrive or convert to a manual tranmission.

Of course, right after I put it in I come by a deal on 3.55:1 gears for the rear end. I hope the speedo drive swap is easy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well it's in & seems to work like a dream.

No serious issues with the install. I highly recommend this swap for anyone looking to add overdrive or convert to a manual tranmission.

Of course, right after I put it in I come by a deal on 3.55:1 gears for the rear end. I hope the speedo drive swap is easy.

any pics of the install?
i've also been pondering putting a 5 speed behind my 250

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I like it when it's easy! :thumbsup:

Sorry Acidburn, I somehow managed to do the job without taking any pictures. I always have great plans on how I'm going to document a specific job, but I always end up getting carried away & forgetting to take some good pics.

The only issue that I think may be 6 cyl related is that even with CC5S optional shifter I had to trim about 1/8 inch or so off the right side of the shifter opening.

I want to redo the boot , so I'll snap a couple shots then & post them up here for you.

Paul

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
The only issue that I think may be 6 cyl related is that even with CC5S optional shifter I had to trim about 1/8 inch or so off the right side of the shifter opening.
Interesting. My car was originally a 6cyl, and I'm hoping to start the install next weekend. At the last minute I decided against paying $300 for the opt. shifter. I kinda figured what the heck, a little 1/4 moon piece cut out and perhaps some of the plastic tunnel.......... Beside, I'm a cheap SOB :)

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I used a small stack of washers to move my shifter over a half inch, fits perfect. Also drilled and tapped the holes in the stub for 3/8 fine, and bolted a hurst shifter to it.
Jim, please elaborate on exactly how you used the washers. From what I've read, it didn't look to me like there was a choice except to cut a small quarter moon from the floor tunnel, on the right side, slightly above center...if you didn't purchase the offset shifter. And I assume from what you're saying, you didn't have to cut the plastic tunnel at all? (I've heard this was a 50/50 chance)

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
The washers will relocate the handle, but not move the shifter body.

I opted for the other shifter for a shorter throw, & no floor trimming. Even though I had to shave a wee bit out of the shifter opening I am very happy with the shifter. I could have stuck with the tremec shifter & I would probably be happy with it too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I like it when it's easy! :thumbsup:

Sorry Acidburn, I somehow managed to do the job without taking any pictures. I always have great plans on how I'm going to document a specific job, but I always end up getting carried away & forgetting to take some good pics.

I want to redo the boot , so I'll snap a couple shots then & post them up here for you.

Paul
Thanks, looking forward to seeing the pics. If you could get some from underneath the car too, that'd be great.
My car was originally a column shift, but it was converted to floor shift so I don't know how the size of the hole compares to the size of the hole in a car that came with a floor shift from the factory.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The washers will relocate the handle, but not move the shifter body.

I opted for the other shifter for a shorter throw, & no floor trimming. Even though I had to shave a wee bit out of the shifter opening I am very happy with the shifter. I could have stuck with the tremec shifter & I would probably be happy with it too.

Does the six sit in there differently? I havent heard of a single person having to modifiy factory shift hole with our offset shifter.

Gene

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Does the six sit in there differently? I havent heard of a single person having to modifiy factory shift hole with our offset shifter.

Gene
I am equally interested, and was perplexed by that post. Heck, paying $300 darn well better ensure that you don't have to cut anything :)

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I am equally interested, and was perplexed by that post. Heck, paying $300 darn well better ensure that you don't have to cut anything :)
This trans is BIG, and the shifter tower comes out of the center and sticks up a couple of inches above the transmission case.

I'm surprised it fit so well, and required so little cutting.
The shifter fits in my console better than the hurst/muncie did.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
This trans is BIG, and the shifter tower comes out of the center and sticks up a couple of inches above the transmission case.

I'm surprised it fit so well, and required so little cutting.
The shifter fits in my console better than the hurst/muncie did.
Yes, but the "deal" is that if you pay the extra $300 for the optional shifter, you're not supposed to have to cut anything. I opted to avoid the $300 charge and cut a little piece out (and maybe some plastic tunnel, too...we'll see). This other member is saying that he paid for the optional shifter and still had to cut some of the tunnel, which should not be the case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts