Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the new Centerline billet Soft-Tail wheels are on ther way!
http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=12517&type=bolt&data=5-4.75
Fronts: 17x7 4"bs
Rears: 17x9.5 5.5"bs
I was getting ready to order the standard 225 or 235/45 fronts and 255/45 rears when I had and idea...(hate it when that happens)
I really like the "old school" look of some extra sidewall (compared to 40's/45's) as well as some extra rim protection and ride quality a 50 series tire would give me, so I started looking and looking.......
I was hoping to find a good matching set of american brand 235/50 front and 255/50 rear for these new rims. Width's are comparable, Rears would fill the well better.
The only real difference is the sidewall height would be aproxx .5" more.
Problem is, I can only find Yokohama,Kumho,Nitto ect... No offense, Nothing wrong with these tires, I just want BFG,Goodyear,General ect.. on my ride but cant find them.

Am I the only person that thinks this would look good? Do I need therapy ?

Comments good or bad would be appreciated.....
Thanks...Jeff

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
Thank the truck and suv folks for the new sidewall sizes available for 17" and 18" wheels. If you want you can find 55 series 17's for added sidewall.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank the truck and suv folks for the new sidewall sizes available for 17" and 18" wheels. If you want you can find 55 series 17's for added sidewall.
Djd, Thanks for the suggestion, I did some checking into that but only found all-season type tires, I'd really like a high performance summer type tread.
Tread wear is no concern. Gimme sticky ;)

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
I didn't look past 235/55/17's but it seems that's just about where the Z rating stops in 55 series... Wouldn't be a bad way to fill the wells if you wanted to be able to rotate the tires front to back. I really like the 255's and 275's out back for the added traction...

Take a look at 255/45/17 rears and 235/50/17 fronts in a Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval the overall dia is 26.1 and 26.3 (R and F) so the sidewall height would be darn near a match... They have a new design now that provides a much better handling tire and the wide oval goes back to the day even more than BFG's...

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
X33D80
The 275/285 would be a better fit but they don't go any higher than a 40 series, which I would consider if I cant' find the sidewall height I'm looking for out of a 45/50 series...

DjD
Excellant idea on the Firestones, well worth considering. Along that same idea, Goodyear has a Eagle F1 GS-D3 - front 225/50-17 and rear 255/45-17 - excellant reviews and wicked looking tread.
Narrower front than the 235/50 with .4 smaller diameter, sidewall 4.51r to 4.42f (very close)
Might give the car a slight rake effect, Hmmmm

Thanks for the ideas .....

·
Registered
367 Posts
255/50/17 is the stock size for a '96 Impala SS, there's a few options in that size, but it's a 27" tire

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
If you are looking for a variety of tires and not sure what size you can find your tire in, try the tire rack. I used to order from them back in the 1990's when I worked in the tire & auto industry, when customers wanted special tires. That was before the internet took off. Their web site is www.tirerack.com

If you are looking for a good tire comparison chart which will show circumference and overall diameter, try this one. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Best of luck w/ your choices! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
472 Posts
Len, that's some sweet fit you got there. I noticed the rear wheel was a 17x8 w/5-1/8 bs...any rubbing?
Wonder how a 275/50 on a 9.5 w/5.5 bs would fit, Anybody try this yet ? The wheel calculators here are a great tool, but no substitute for seeing the real thing....

Thanks for all the comments and advise
Many here have reported being able to use the 9.5" with 5.5 BS with no problem (although most with a 26" tall tire not 28"), I test fit one on my car and there was absolutely no way I could make it work, it was hard (really hard) up against the inner well.
Even with the 5.125 bs it's a very full fit (I also shaved about 1/8" of my outer well lip).
Another driving factor is ride height, my car has the hotchkis 1.5" lowering springs so I needed to center the tire perfectly to make it work, if you run stock multi-leaf springs you can get away with less bs.
I recommend careful measurement of your car and ordering a wheel with 1/8" to 3/16" more backspacing than you need, then use steel spacers to tune the tire to be centered in the well (very few of these cars have rear ends that are centered to the tub). Mine are actually set at 5 1/8" on the drivers side and 5 1/16" on the pass side.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Along that same idea, Goodyear has a Eagle F1 GS-D3 - front 225/50-17 and rear 255/45-17 - excellant reviews and wicked looking tread....
Here's the GSD3's. 225-50-16 front, 255-45-17 rear.
Tread pattern is "unusual" These are good tires, I wish I had them on my vette, where they'd get to use their excellent wet traction. They seem actually stickier in the wet than the dry. Good cornering power, too.
Straightline traction could be better, but I really need a drag radial.
Note these are very expensive tires.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many here have reported being able to use the 9.5" with 5.5 BS with no problem (although most with a 26" tall tire not 28"), I test fit one on my car and there was absolutely no way I could make it work, it was hard (really hard) up against the inner well.
Even with the 5.125 bs it's a very full fit (I also shaved about 1/8" of my outer well lip).
Another driving factor is ride height, my car has the hotchkis 1.5" lowering springs so I needed to center the tire perfectly to make it work, if you run stock multi-leaf springs you can get away with less bs.
I recommend careful measurement of your car and ordering a wheel with 1/8" to 3/16" more backspacing than you need, then use steel spacers to tune the tire to be centered in the well (very few of these cars have rear ends that are centered to the tub). Mine are actually set at 5 1/8" on the drivers side and 5 1/16" on the pass side.
Len, Thanks again for your wealth of information. Your trial and fit work will save me countless hours of "dang,guess that won't fit". Guess I'll stick to looking for a 26" tall tire for my 9.5/5.5 wheel & stock multi-leaf and lower my car to meet it
..Jeff

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the GSD3's. 225-50-16 front, 255-45-17 rear.
Tread pattern is "unusual" These are good tires, I wish I had them on my vette, where they'd get to use their excellent wet traction. They seem actually stickier in the wet than the dry. Good cornering power, too.
Straightline traction could be better, but I really need a drag radial.
Note these are very expensive tires.

Jim, I do like those tires and your ride looks exceptional , what size rims are you using with those tires? My fronts are 17x7 4"bs so my front would have 1" more diameter than your 16's, but I dont think that would be a problem. I am currently running bfg 235/60-15's on the front with no rub (but it's close) and they measure 26.10 dia. compared to the goodyear's 12.92 dia.(per the calulator)
Your picture's worth a thousand measurements.....Thanks !

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
fronts are 16x7, 4" BS. Those front tires are short, too, 23 1/2"
rears are 17x8, 4 1/2" bs, they are a touch over 26" tall.
I"ll soon be going with a set of 275 drag radials on the back, on the same rims.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Imho, the BEST looking "Old-School" tire that was ever made was the old belted bias-ply "Sonic Maxima"! (I think it was belted??)..

It was one WIDE, square shouldered high performance STREET tire back then.

It's tread width was darn near as wide as it's section width and this is why it is a true "square shouldered" tire!

Wish Coker would bring them back as 295/50-17's! And 305 or 315 would be way cool too!

pdq67

PS., I'm talking about L-60 and M and N-50 tires here for the pups to know about them! You install a set of any of these on the back of a '68 MOPAR Plymouth Road Runner and you are THERE!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm running 245/45/17 front on 17x8 and 255/50/17 rear on 17x9; pics in the link in my sig. (BFG KDWS tires) -Dan

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks! Glad to help. Funny, I have the drag radials on it now which are 275/50/17 (28") and they look terrible, way too big, I can't believe 1" makes that much difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts