Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personaly I think the Z/28 should be the top of line model getting the highest HP motor. Starting out with a V6 base model w/ a RS option available, SS with a LS3, and Z/28 with a LS7 or something like that. What do you guys think?

In a perfect world they'll have a RS/SS package I can buy with atleast a LS2 400hp and a 6 speed. :yes:

·
Retired
26,897 Posts
Not sure it matters but in the 4th gen the SS was top dog. The Z28 in '96 was used to make the SS and was badged Z28SS under the hood and in the carpeted floormats. In '97 it was the same but they dropped the Z28 and just called it SS. Sometime during 4th gen production Chevy actually produced SS cars instead of just sending Z28's to SLP but all SS cars still went through SLP for final trim.

Since it's said there might be 2 V6 options and a V8 my guess is we see a plain jane V6, an RS V6 making 300 hp and the LS3 V8 Z28. Maybe the Tom Henry modified cars will be badged SS. I would hate to see either SS or Z28 get demoted to a V6 even one making 300hp...

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
In what generation of Camaros was the Z28 the top dog?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure it matters but in the 4th gen the SS was top dog. The Z28 in '96 was used to make the SS and was badged Z28SS under the hood and in the carpeted floormats. In '97 it was the same but they dropped the Z28 and just called it SS. Sometime during 4th gen production Chevy actually produced SS cars instead of just sending Z28's to SLP but all SS cars still went through SLP for final trim.

Since it's said there might be 2 V6 options and a V8 my guess is we see a plain jane V6, an RS V6 making 300 hp and the LS3 V8 Z28. Maybe the Tom Henry modified cars will be badged SS. I would hate to see either SS or Z28 get demoted to a V6 even one making 300hp...
I guess I always saw the Z/28 being more desirable due to their low production #'s and value today. Also having the Z/28 a trans am racer, and the SS was a pace car in it's highest trim. I guess in my eyes the Z/28 would be held higher.

I know in 4th Gen's the SS was top dog. I was "this close" to buying a 02 Anniv. SS, but with the small difference in cost between that and a Corvette I got the vette instead.

In what generation of Camaros was the Z28 the top dog?
Were the 3rd Gen Iroc Z's above a regular Z28 at the time?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
the z/28 crossram is the top dawg!!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
It doesn't matter THAT much, but the original Z-28 was purpose built to compete in the trans Am series with a limited cubic inch motor (not limited hp), the engine size increased after 1969. I don't know how concerned GM is with keeping the Z-28 heritage, but with the semi-retro theme, I'd think it'd be important enough. Since big-blocks don't make it in new cars anymore, that limits the SS as far as max. cubes go, unless the LS-7 ever enters the Camaro picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts