Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking at a 67' 6 cyl/3-speed (on the column) car. The body is too good to pass up. BUT before I purchase...

What parts do I need to replace the 6 with a small block?

I have a fresh TH350 that would be going in, too. Will that fit on the 3-speed crossmember? How about drive shaft length. Same?

I should probably mention I already have a shifter and converter for the TH350.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
We've done this before here, do a search.

However, chassis mounts for the engine mounts, pedal-to-carb linkage, radiator hoses, fan shroud, ground straps.

Yes, Th350 with 6 inch tailshaft housing will fit 3-spd and driveshaft is the same length.

Are you sure you want to change this car? I mean, if its in good shape and all original, especially for PA., I myself would have second thoughts of a changeover, especially if its a 3-spd. I have not seen one of these equipped this route.

Maybe others here will help...... :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would at least hesitate jerking out the 6 cylinder. You may not know this but, check the link that I attached and you will be surprised at what you can do to a 6'er.

www.cliffordperformance.com

My car too was a 6 with three on the tree (motor long gone) and had I known that the 6's could be built I probably would have kept the car a 6 (had it been there). Have fun.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search but was unsuccesful. I appreciate the help!

Definitely want to change the car over...unless it turns out to be super-rare. Then I will probably still change it but keep all the necessary components to change it back. I don't plan on cutting the body up so, shouldn't be a problem there.

Clifford has some interesting stuff but I think the only 6 I would be interested in building would be a V6 w/turbo a la GNX.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Chad

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I would leave the 6 in it.

I am a bit biased though :rolleyes:

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
My 68 was an original 6 cyl 3 on the floor RS convertible. The 6 is now resting in the corner of my garage and a 355 with about 425 hp with an M20 is in there now. you KNOW which one I like better ;)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I bought my car with a 6 and swapped in my 383. Best thing I ever could have done. No regrets whatsoever. The 250 I6 sits safely under my workbench.

You will need all new accessory brackets, new frame and engine mounts, a bigger radiator, a new shroud, new hoses and belts, probably a new starter, probably a bigger battery.

The existing crossmember and driveshaft will work with a Powerglide, TH350 or 4 speed. The TH400 style crossmember is needed for an overdrive tranny or a TH400 and the driveshaft would need a new yoke for a TH400 and shortened for an OD tranny. You can reuse the generator and maybe the power steering pump. Front springs should be fairly close if you have aluminum heads, aluminum intake, and headers on your 350.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another thought, keep the six but throw a turbo on it. Plenty of room there for a turbo. Then you could be different and have lots of power to boot.

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts