Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started my project and am wondering what items I will need to change to instll new motor. I will also be replacing the powerglide with a M-20
Muncie 4-speed transmission. This is a very large undertaking for me and all information will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
You didnt state what year your car was. I swapped my tired ole 6 cylinder and 3 speed manual in my 69 for a 350, 350 auto. The only thing I needed for my swap was 8-cyl motor mount brackets and various pulleys and brackets. Assuming the motor is complete of course. My 6 had a/c so when I made the swap I didnt need to change front springs. Although if they are original springs I would say youll probably need to replace them. My old accelerator cable even worked. If you have any more questions let me know and I will try to dust the cobwebs off my brain.

·
Registered
999 Posts
smb, how you doing my "pa" neighbor. i stated before, you'll need frame mounts and of course motor mounts, i'm not sure if you'll need a tranny mount, i believe you will. because i think the manual is different. depending on how old you radiator is, i would think maybe on getting one for your size engine. when i changed from a 6 cylinder to a 396, i went with a four core radiator. one other thing, the front springs might need to be changed. i have the 6 cylinder springs in my car,(69 camaro 396), and they hang the car very low to the point i believe the engine is going to bottom out, so you might want to check into springs. other then the obvious items,(engine, pulleys,tranny,etc..), it's a pretty easy change over. sorry, one last thing, check the lentgh of your driveshaft. you might need to get a different one and also the yoke for the driveshaft. i'm not sure if the one from a powerglide with mesh up to a manual tranny.
good luck,
bruce69camaro

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just comleted a swap on my 81 fire bird to chevy, so here s my info

get both part of the motor mount.
get a th350, same dimensions as a powerglide, both have 27 splined drive shafts and it should bolt right in. but you will have to..

buy a shifter to shift correctly (but i think their is a kit to adapt your factory one) run a vaccume line frome the intake to the modulator no sweat. Get the th350 support bushing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am changing out a 6 cylinder to a 327 in my 67 Camaro. I am changing the mount towers, 2 core radiator to 3 core, wiring harness, front springs & 5/16 fuel line over to 3/8. The fuel line changeout is not neccessary unless you plan on running a 4 bbl carb.

------------------
Jeff Bradway

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeff - if you need a 327 block I have one CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP!!! It is a very early production block and still has the cannister filter attached, original Holley 4 barrel iron manifold etc. I also can throw in the PG trans. I also have the single springs that allowed the N50-15 tire mount. If interested email me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like your website very much and will follow your progress!!! I checked the casting numbers on the block I have they are 3849852. On the block in finley stamped numbers in front of the RH head are FI220DE. Do these mean anything to you?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pink68, Casting 3849852 was a 283 ci used from 1957-66. The "F" indicates it was assembled in Flint, MI. The "I" is probably a "1" for the assembled date code in "mmdd" format. The DE suffix also points to a 283 code used in 1958 or 1962. There was DE suffix code for a 1968 307 ci engine, but casting number is good evidence of an earlier engine. Look for the obvious signs like the road-draft hole behind the distributor hole and of course the casting date which is near the rear flange also behind the distributor.

------------------
Jeff Bradway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts