Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up ya'll ....not sure if this is in the right section or not...but it does have to do with electrical....

I am wanting to get one of these aftermarket dash on my 69 that will liven up the place inside the car...heres what Im talkin bout....
http://www.classicindustries.com/ca...s/aftermarket-dash-kits/?y=1969&p=1&sb=0&r=75

questions.....

does anyone have this kind of dash installed?
I reckon I will have to kiss my blinkers goodbye...not that they work yet...lol...
and then comes the wiring...I have been wanting a new under dash harness...but if im considering buying one of these in the near future, should I get a painless kit or roll with a factory set up for future a/c install and factory headlight switch, wipers, signals, hazards...etc...?

Im wanting to install speedo, tach, oil pressure, volts, water temp and oil temp....I have already wired those to the center console, but would gladly swap em up top if I had the room......I originally was going for the classic look, but now thinking in a new direction..lol
...sorry for the mucho questions, but unsure on what works best for this kind of dash.....

any help and or pics would be greatly appreciated....thanks

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
For some reason, the link won't load, but it sounds like you are describing a Covan's instrument panel. Search here for "Covan's" and lots of guys have them. Most just add a couple small green LEDs for the indicators.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Actually just use "Covan", because that'll catch any of the spelling variations.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Oh and I just read the rest of your questions.

You can search "painless" here. The kit is OK, and some liked it, but there are a lot of horror or extra work stories. IMO, the American Autowire Classic Update kit (can search "update" here and find many threads on this one too) is far, far superior. Uses new factory style connectors for the most part (the only original plug I had to reuse was the 69 only clutch safety switch... the kit came with plugs for an auto trans, but AAW would have sent me the right connector for no cost), and is pretty easy to install.

Other observations about the Covan dash: I bought one, didn't like it, and returned it. It does not have fasteners on the passenger side as the original does, so it may not fit the dash as well on that side. I also did not like the look of the grain/texture, but I have a black interior and was going to leave it unpainted. The ones I have seen painted look better, so painting may be the way to go if it bothers you, even for a black dash.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Okay, that is not a Covan dash, but the discussions on LEDs for the turn indicators (and high beams, and the e-brake/brake warning light....) in threads on the Covan's would apply to that piece. You'd have to ask if it fastens to the passenger side of the dash as OE, if you care.

I have not seen anyone here use that panel, must be fairly new. Classic does not make the stuff they sell, so if you can call and ask who actually makes that piece, maybe then you'll have more luck figuring out if anyone has used it before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts