Team Camaro Tech banner
81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
Pic of the firewall mounting bracket and the hydro boost? (Or does yours have a bracket?)
I flipped mine simply because the angle was steep and it looked like it could interfere with the hood, or it could have been just a aesthetic thing….

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
SO today - I adjusted that peddle, replaced the back flexible lines, and had the fun of changing that Main hard line that runs from the back of the proportion valve to over the rear end. Tomorrow I will bleed the entire system and Hopefully take this thing for a drive!!!

Pic of the firewall mounting bracket and the hydro boost? (Or does yours have a bracket?)
I flipped mine simply because the angle was steep and it looked like it could interfere with the hood, or it could have been just a aesthetic thing….
Sorry - I dident see this till Just Now - I will post some Pics tomorrow. Today I placed a washer on the top 2 studs under the top of the brackets to slightly tilt the assembly down a bit. I called the wilwood guy again and we talked about what I found and the weep hole between the 2 chambers. He said I should run a screw threw the weep hole to stop the fluid from running into the back chamber. Hope to finish this up tomorrow

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Pic of the firewall mounting bracket and the hydro boost?
here are the best Pics I could get.

SO I have bin working to get the air our of both systems - Brakes of course have air after changing the lines. I Vacuum bleed them but they still got air... I need to jack the back again Maybe?

As for the Hydro Boost , that thing is a mess. There is air trapped all in there. I am trying but cant get it out. Did the engine not running bleeding process and also tried to do it with the engine running after I spoke with POL. I have sprayed fluid out the pump reservoir while bleeding both ways. My brake peddle is pressing itself down when the engine runs... POL said that's cause there is air in there. It just don't seem like this should be so hard! I wonder if I am screwing something up.....

Back to making a mess I guess

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
All the stuff I read says bleed before the initial run
and the bleed is a combination of lock to lock and pedal up and down slowly, but I’m sure your aware of all that.
The aeration of some oil is hard to eliminate. It takes time for all those bubbles to come out of suspension.
I can say from experience that the use of a vacuum pump ( refrigerant type) with a gauge, can speed up the process but it’s not fast by any means.
It can also cause problems if you pull the system below 0. The seals are designed to hold positive pressure, and can pull air into the system if the pressure is low enough.
It sounds absurd to some people, I’m sure, but it’s a common problem in larger refrigeration systems that run in deep vacuum to achieve very low temperatures.
If you can hold a vacuum gauge at “0” that’s still a substantial amount of encouragement for air to come out of suspension.
The power of vacuum is surprising. Look up rail car in a vacuum. It’s a good demonstration of the atmospheric pressure pushing on a structure that is not designed to withstand that type of force.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
Oh and if those faces on that bracket are not parallel, you might be able to reverse the bracket and get closer to flat. I can’t really tell from the pictures

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Oh and if those faces on that bracket are not parallel, you might be able to reverse the bracket and get closer to flat. I can’t really tell from the pictures
I understand what ya saying about that - They are mounted in the correct orientation as far as POL's design is concerned. Problem is if I was to level it I would loose the clearance I have between the booster and the headers. Not sure what that would do to the angle of the rod. I plugged that weep hole today and with the addition of those washers its not to bad. Ima leave that be I think.

As for the Booster/Power steering fluid system. I fallowed that Lock to Lock pump the peddle process but I am running into issues. The level in the fluid tank overflows and then drops dramatically. I am trying to figure a way to mount a funnel or big plastic cup or something on top to stop the oil from over flowing out the top! POL - said its gona take some driving to get all the oil out??? I cant drive this thing like this... It pulls the peddle down when I run the car. POL said thats cause of the air as well. I am sure there is a way but I am having issues.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
This is the best Idea I could come up with to help control the over flowing. STILL Lots of air in that system!

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
I’m going to ask some stupid questions.
Your certain the lines are correct ?
How did you route the return? and the weep port?
I read some have trouble with the “T” used to combine the returns.
Are you running a filter?

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. You may not have tee’d the returns properly.

Don

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I’m going to ask some stupid questions.
Your certain the lines are correct ?
How did you route the return? and the weep port?
I read some have trouble with the “T” used to combine the returns.
Are you running a filter?
I checked the diagram and went threw them with MY Dad who was looking at it with me. I am as certain as I can be they are correct.
The return lines are run to a "Y" fitting I purchased. I don't like the "T". I don't understand what you are asking about a "weep port"?
Yes I am using a Filter - after the Y and before the return fitting on the Pump.

As for HOW the lines were run... Out of thr Hydro boost (pressure line) into the inlet line of the steering box. Out of the steering box into the "Y" with the return line from the Hydroboost to the return fitting of the Pump. I could take Pics but not right now.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I was thinking the same thing. You may have not tee’d the returns properly.

Don
Well - there is a return line from the Hydroboost and a return line for the steering box. Those two Lines are "Y"d together and then a single line goes into the return fitting of the pump.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
I’ll put some pics up later.
I’m not certain that my mess will work!
It might just give you a different perspective.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Its super tight but I got some pics. Any questions just ask. I can explain if confused on a pic or line?m.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
The only thing I could suggest is to put your filter before the “Y”. There may be enough resistance at the filter to force fluid to the small port (weep port)
Any fluid backing up has the potential to be a problem.
Man there’s not much real estate with that big block.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
I had to opt for a reservoir that has two return ports.
There is an impingement plate inside ( fancy word for a plate that should aid in deaeration) who knows if it’s better than nothing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I am jealous of all that space!
Looks like the lines are in the same places.
Good idea about the filter.

I tried several different pumps and the one that had duel return inlets of course did not fit!

81 - 100 of 141 Posts