Team Camaro Tech banner
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
FWIW the chances of the problem being the steering box are extremely low. Disconnect the hydroboost from the power steering system and see what happens with the aeration. Use a process of elimination….

Don
That's also good advice and I will do that if these others steps don't work. I am hopping the simple thing that Turn One said to do works, We will see. I have Power steering for the 1st time as of today so thats some Improvement!

Thanks, Don

Reactions: dhutton

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I am glad you have been making steps forward, even if they are tiny steps. I have been following your issues but have not been able to offer any suggestions as I don't have experience with hydroboost brakes but have been considering it. One thing I know for sure....These guys won't tell you to not call back! Help, problem solving and support are a high priority here!
Brett....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Work is slowing me down when it comes to trying to fix this!

Today I fallowed the procedure as instructed from turn one to purge the air from there box.

Few good things - The level is not radically raising and falling in the pump tank, I am not hearing much noise at all from the box although I did hear a tinny bit, and from yesterday to today it pulled down a lot of fluid! I think we did make some progress yesterday, we will see what comes of today's efforts.

Bad thing was the peddle is still pulling itself down. However, tomorrow I am gona test what happens when I remove the weep line from the y and dump it directly into the top of the pump tank. If this is the fix I need a new tank that will fit my BBC with 2 returns or I need to modify the current tank.

1 new question for you guys, (after reading threw that Hydrotech information) Anyone know where I can find a vented cap for a P pump?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
Well after looking at several it seems like a crap shoot.
Some have a vent some don’t.
Maybe just drill an 1/8” hole in yours
I have a Jones racing reservoir. The vent is inside the cap….. but it’s a type 2 pump. No joy for your situation

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Work has kept me busy. No new updates as I haven't had time to get out to the shop. I was looking online and I did find this. Might work if the test shows I need to separate the return lines (at this point I hope thats what it is). Only way to know if it fits is Buy it and Try it... AGR Steering Pros 962505: Saginaw P-Pump Reservoir | JEGS

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Thanks to the Hurricane I got a few days off and I did some work today - a Little bit.

Loosened the linkage at the peddle - NO change.
Separated the return line from the weep line and ran 2 separate lines - No change.
I even took the steering box out the loop. The pressure line comes in the Hydra-boost, Out the Hydra-boost and back to the return line on the pump. The weep line is run separately and feeds into the top of the pump tank. - NO CHANGE....
Another thing I noticed is that when the car is running and the brake booster is self applying the brakes fluid is steady coming out of the weep line, Like a LOT of fluid is coming out. No few table spoons, a steady stream of fluid is flowing.

You guys got any thoughts? At this point guess I need to call POL again and maybe I can even try to call Hydratech? Something is NOT right

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
I’ve been reading about this pedal being pulled down without any input, and it would seem there’s a problem with the internal lever / and, or the spool.
You may have to become intimate with the inner most secrets of the booster….if POL won’t warranty your purchase.
If there’s ANY good news, It would be the rebuild kit for most hydro boost units is around $30-$40
This is a real drag to have to consider rebuilding a
Expensive ,aftermarket suppliers part, but it’s apparently defective.
Here’s a post by Hydratech it’s post 10 it goes over a lot of details so maybe you can print it out a check off the details you’ve covered

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Spoke with POL today. They are thinking the spool valve. I am going threw the process of Proving I bought it from them and they asked for a video... Not sure what the fix or how the fix will happen. At least they are admitting there is an issue and offering possible solutions now.

Reactions: Worn Out Welder

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Update - I sent it back today (at my expense) for a new replacement. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Small update. My Pump Reservoir never came in. Contacted Jegs and they said they had No Idea whats going on... I then called AGR directly and spoke with John. Supper helpful and very nice. He explained that the part number/Item pictured everywhere was no longer available, at all! I explained to him what my issue with fitment was and he then offered to make me a custom reservoir. The Are basically modifying an existing tank for me. Fingers crossed it works out, no pictures or anything. We just discussed what was needed and he is confident they can fix me up. Time will tell, If nothing else he is trying to help me. Every part of this project has bin such a choir! Hopefully this will work for my application

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
The trucks in the 70's and 80's all had separate round reservoirs. If his doesn't work out, the originals are plentiful.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I have spent a LOT of time looking for a reservoir that will fit. They may be plentiful but I have not seen them and if I did they must not have worked for my application. I have found several with duel return fittings but none that would fit my BBC.

Cory C

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
Yea …everything I see shows pump available WITHOUT reservoir.
1976 Ford LTD 460 has an option for hydro boost and a Saginaw dual-return reservoir, but nobody stocks it.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
You should have just said
Hey, here’s what it should look like and let me put the returns where you need them.
If the deal with AGR doesn’t work out , we should just do it that way.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
You should have just said
Hey, here’s what it should look like and let me put the returns where you need them.
If the deal with AGR doesn’t work out , we should just do it that way.
My fingers are crossed. If this dose not work, I may make/modify one myself! lol But thats a GOOD Idea =)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Well this came in yesterday and it looks promising
Font Gas Wire Fashion accessory Metal

The Booster is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Lets hope this one works..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I know your hopeful!
I guess the cap is vented?
It’s definitely time to put a lid on this can of worms!
Cap is not vented YET - But it will be when I drill a tinny hole in it!

And yes, for sure time to be done

121 - 140 of 141 Posts