Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This topic may have been beaten to death as far as theory goes, but I have a seat of the pants question.

I have a 383 stroker going in my 1969 Camaro next week. The engine is on the mild side with stock Chevy 1.90/1.60 heads, CompCams hydraulic roller part #12-420-8 (.501 lift, 215 duration @ .050 on both intake and exhaust, 110 LSA) 10.0 to 1 compression ratio, 2.5 in. dual exhausts, full length Hedman Headers, 200-4R overdrive automatic tansmission and 3.73 posi rear end. Power steering, power brakes, and front disks.

The car is street driven only, it is not a daily driver, and I want the best seat of the pants pull that I can get from this combination, especially at low speeds or from a stop light.

I am considering a Quick Fuel 680 cfm vacuum carb vs a 650 mechanical carb. I talked to Quick Fuel today and they did not recommend a 750 cfm carb.

Your thoughts?

John T.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
I run both vacuum secondary and mechanical secondary carbs on mine, changing periodically depending on my mood. The mechanical secondary gives me the best off the line responsiveness but the vac secondary gives smoother around town cruising with a stick.

With the gearing you have in the rear and first gear ratio of the 200-4r(2.73 first) you should be smoking plenty of tire with either carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts