Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 12 bolt POSI for my 69 that was supposed to be a multi-leaf rear. The seller thought it was multi-leaf because the car it was in had them. When I looked at it, it's appears to be a 67 mono 12 bolt. I can clearly see where the torque arm was cut off and ground. Sine the numbers on the axle tube are in that same area, they were hit by the grinder an I can't make them all out. Below is what I have, can anyone tell anything by them.

First, the letter "A" is all by its self further to the left. Then I can make out "C 1C386", but the grinder hit them, so it's hard to make them out. I'm going to try cleaning and sanding a bit more. Other stampings are 3894860 and J216 on the center section.

On the ring gear 386268913-43 G.M.
The Pinion has 13 teeth (3.31 ratio?)
Both gears are marked in white paint "E9"

The POSI unit looks like it has EDB-30140, but this was very hard to see since it's all still assembled.

Can anyone tell if this is a 67 Camaro rear? If it is, it seems like it would be a hard rearend to find?

Finally, if it is a 67 12 bolt posi, should I cut off the perches and have multis welded on and install on my 69, or look for someone who needs a 12 bolt posi for thier 67 and buy a different one for my 69? My car is not a numbers car, so I can use any 12 bolt that will fit - not concerned with dates.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
33,283 Posts
Yes on the ratio. You can use the 67 axle, just use 1/2 inch U-bolts to clamp the spring plate to the bottom of the spring.

I myself, would not use the pads. You will have to drill out the holes in the perch for 1/2 inch as 7/16 inch is OE size.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Measure the depth of the spring perches. A mono leaf spring perch is about 1 inch deep. I don't remember exactly how deep the multi leaf perch is, but I think about 2 to 2 1/2 inches. If it is a '67 rear end I would sell it as a '67 and get a '68 or '69.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's definitely a mono perch - only about 1", I have a 8.5" multi leaf rear and the 12 bolt is less than 1/2 the depth. It looks to be a 67 12 bolt. I spent 2-3 years looking for a good deal on a 1st gen 12 bolt. I don't want to wait 2-3 more to find the correct multi-leaf. It's in very good condition - gears, posi, seals, all look very nice. The previous owner did weld braces around the tubing to the perches for extra support/safety. It's similiar to what the pozziracing site has.

How much is a rearend like this worth?

Anyone want to trade a multi leaf 12 bolt for the mono? I would want something in bolt in conditon with series 3.x gears and posi.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both my cars already have them, but I figure if I'm pulling the rear end (both 8.2s) and spings, I might as well put multi-leaf in. I already have the springs, new shock plates, etc. I may just go with one of the mono perch to multi leaf kits like DSE sells. If I can find someone to swap the perches at a reasonable cost, I'll take that route.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
910 Posts
You know, I have a '69 12 bolt 4.11 unit (non-posi) multi-leaf. My problem is that I have a 67 and need the mono leaf... My car is a 1st week of Jan car so it did not have the torque arm yet. Hmmm - Might be an option if you are interested in a trade or something.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the J216 is the date - a late 66 rear for a early 67 Camaro? I agree that the 68-69 mulit's are easier to find, but it's hard to find them for less than $1500 - especially a decent ratio posi. A local camaro place is $3000 and a local salvage yard wants $1700. I paid $800 and I waited a long time - maybe I should have said $2000 in case I list it for sale:)

Freddie, I thought about using one of the multi leaf kits like the Hotchkis or I read many posts that mention the JCW 3 leaf springs. It will come down to cost, I already have multi-leaf springs and new shock plates. If I can get new multi perches welded on for less than $150, I think this would be cheaper. I think even the JCW springs are more than this with shipping. I figure once it's in the 69, it's not coming back out for a mono car.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frank - I think I would probably make money, but then might loose money. What I mean is, if I sell it for let's say $1500, and a 68/69/Moser/? cost $1800+, then I'm still out more money than if I keep it and use it. I would swap someone a similiar posi rear for a 68/69, but then I have to worry about shipping. I'll check with the local camaro places to see if they are willing to swap - maybe give them a little more for thier trouble. I would like to get it to someone who is looking for one for thier 67 if I can end up with a 68/69 at no additional cost.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
My STOCK, (no radius-bar), '67's 12-bolt has the JCW 3-leaf mono replacements under it now and I put two extra leaf's in each of them...

Heck, just use "U"-bolts and don't worry about any bottom plate bending and go!!

Been there and mine has been like this since I forget when w/ the bent lower plates!! The "U"-bolts make everything fine to me!! Sure ain't gonna come apart...............

pdq67

1 - 15 of 15 Posts