Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 1967 327 came without a center bolt in the balancer? While working on the car I realized the bolt was not there nor does it look like one was ever there. PLEASE ADVISE. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The majority of pre-'67 standard output (non HP application) cranks did not have the hole drilled and tapped to accept a damper bolt.

It can be done by any good machine shop if desired. I've even done one with the crank in the car in the garage, but you need to be pretty carefull in lining things up - it's not a job I would likely recommend for the adverage mechanic ...

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Early small block Chevy balancers were pressed on with no retaining bolt. The early cranks were not even drilled and tapped for a bolt which means you had no other option than to hammer the balancer on.

The last time I had the 327 apart the machine shop drilled and tapped a hole in the snout of the crank. I can now use a balancer installer instead of a hammer, and I feel better with a bolt in there.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
My '68 327 didn't have the crank drilled and the balancer was pretty loose on the crank. I drilled and tapped it in the car. It's nice and tight now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the information. I think I will have it drilled and tapped for a bolt just so I don't see the balancer coming through the hood one day.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
It won't come up through the hood, but rather right out the bottom and to the pass side front at an angle at say 55 mph!!!!!

My old unbalanced, junk parts junk301 threw two of them off over time!!!!

They go bang hitting the sway-bar and down and away they go out into the grass past the shoulder.. One I found and the other I didn't..

I could run fast enough that the air coming through my rad turned my w/p's fan fast enough so I could limp home w/o over-heating her if I watched the temp gauge close..

pdq67

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Chevy built about 20 million small-blocks with press-on balancers and no bolt hole; 283's (except some trucks) didn't have the bolt, and the only 327's that did were L-79's and solid-lifter engines. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Our 68 327 (originally 210 hp version) also came with no bolt. It sounds like installing one might be added to the list of things to do.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow! I'm glad I read this often. I was just looking at my engine the other day and thought I was (NOT) seeing things 'cause I could of sworn there was no crank bolt in my balancer! My car is an ealry '67 with a 327. I feel much better. :hurray:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought that purchasing my 1967 Camaro Convertible 327 with numbers matching was one of the best decisions I ever made. I guess I was wrong because joining this forum with such a knowledgeable group of guys was actually the smartest thing I ever did. Thanks once again for all the useful information that each of you have provided.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts