Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to state my dad has been working on GM cars since he hit puberty. I trust his experience and knowledge. It's never failed me before. Now, I know GM didn't allow A/C as an option on solid lifter cars because of vacuum concerns. My dad says power brakes probably weren't available either for the same reason: it doesn't generate enough vacuum to support them. However, the options list on CRG doesn't seem to agree with that, as it doesn't say it's N/A on L78 optioned cars. I have an L78 67 about to be restored to its original glory (and I really do mean original). Can anyone clear this up? Were power brakes an option on solid lifter, specifically 396/375hp, cars?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
they were available it was just another option. Just how original it your car. Do you know if your car is in the 67 L78 regestry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if its in the registry. I wasn't aware there was any kind of registry. I have the matching block and heads, no trans or radiator. Haven't double checked the rear but I'm pretty sure it was never changed. I'm not here to specifically talk about my restoration plans in general, but thanks for the interest. :beers:

I don't remember specifically what he said because it was an off hand conversation while we were fixing my 92, but he reckoned it would only make about 11-13 lbs of vacuum and it'd need 23ish lbs for the brakes if I recall correctly (which I doubt I do haha).

If anyone has any specific numbers, that'd be great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own 3 original solid lifter cars. A 64 vette 365 hp, 69 z 302, and a 69 camaro SS L78.
All came with power brakes new. My L78 came with power brakes and power steering. As far as air conditioning the 64 and 65 vette 365 hp were the only 2 models I know of that could be ordered with air. I also have a 396 with the LS5 454 cam which has about 11 inches of vacuum and the power brakes work fine as they do on my other cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trim tag says 4K, hence why I know it's a 396 car. I probably wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't haha.

I wrote down the trim info so I'd have it on hand for research:

Cowl Tag - RPO - Option / Description
--------------------------------------------------------

05D - MAY WEEK 3 1967 - BODY BEGAN ASSEMBLY

67-12437 - BODY STYLE CODE - 1967 MODEL (12..), STANDARD INTERIOR (..4..), COUPE (..37)

NOR126485 - NORWOOD, OHIO PLANT - BODY NUMBER 126485

E (norwood codes) INTERIOR - Black
760-Z A50 STANDARD STRATO BUCKET SEATS (NO HEADREST)

N-N - Madeira Maroon / White Stripe

W A02 TINTED W/S ONLY

L M20 (or M21) 4-SPEED FLR SHIFT
G D55 CONSOLE FRT COMPT

L Z22 RALLY SPORT PKG

K L78 ENGINE REINF ASY SS396/375hp - Black tailpan with rectangular radius rod

You'll note it also has the RS package, making it a true 396 RS/SS.

Thanks for the info. I'm not all that knowledgeable about cars, so this project is a learning experience. That said, I love her to death and I've never even sat in her.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Welcome to team camaro and what a neat car to have! Congratulations!
Your Dad is of course correct on the vac. thing but many, many solid lifter cars had power brakes and/or power steering. A lot of us opted not to add PS back in the day as we did not want to drain any horsepower. :D
Let us know when you start the resto process:thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car was bought for track use originally, and as such has manual steering and manual brakes. And it's staying that way. I don't have any documentation saying that that's the proper configuration, but the car had the manual steering box on it (and that's about it..) and manual drums. I could change both and no one could tell me it's wrong down the line, but she rolled out of the factory a certain way. I see no reason to change that.

I actually started a twitter account and plan to make some sort of blog to chronicle my rusto to resto journey. I'll be sure to start a thread with links when I get started. Right now I'm making a battle plan, finding parts, and making money to afford the rarer things when the opportunity presents itself.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm always amazed when I see these HP drivetrain cars ordered with manual brakes and steering.

I wonder why they forced you to get front disc with the Z28 package, I bet it was an insurance deal....

Sweet find btw...I doubt there are but a handful of those real 1967 375HP Camaros out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder why they forced you to get front disc with the Z28 package, I bet it was an insurance deal....
It probably had something to do with the Trans Am sedan race series that the Z28 was designed for. The car had to be a production car, and probably certain options too.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I think we have over 200 4k cars in the reg. Have you checked the brakes to see if they were metallic brakes. Many L78 cars were.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we have over 200 4k cars in the reg. Have you checked the brakes to see if they were metallic brakes. Many L78 cars were.
I haven't yet. I haven't had a chance to put her up and really dig in to find out all the goodies. My dad is still wondering if we'll find some documentation when we take the seats out :D

I'm itching to. I take the cover off every few days and just start poking around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
'67 396/375hp, was power steering an option?
I can't answer you question on the 1967. But in the late 1970s I owned a 1968 396/375hp Camaro and it had power steering.

·
Registered
392 Posts
well this sounds like a cool story unfolding here about the L78 car!! got any pics of the car N7X ? green z is right about the power brakes and steering they were an option on the L78 car. Glad to see another L78 car popping up I run the http://l78camaro.lefora.com/ if you get a chance pop on over there, we have a couple Original Owner cars, and alot of pics of the 67 L78 cars with some great info Phil Ps its FREE to join

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 67 4K car has power steering and power disc brakes. Now i didn't buy it new, mom and dad said age 10 was just to young for my first car.
I think there are fewer real 4K cars left than the 69 COPO cars.

Richard

·
Registered
392 Posts
Protree 68 , yes I do, kerry is the green Z here as well, with the other plum L78 car. great to here back from you, the new site is comming along still a lot of work and research stay in touch Phil http://l78camaro.lefora.co

PS White Coupe Hi hope all is well richard

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
any Pics yet?
Negative sir. I've got 2 on my old phone's sd card the day I bought the car (as soon as I got home, it's still on the trailer in the pics) but haven't moved them off yet to upload. It's Madeira Maroon. Not my first choice, but hey at least its not butternut or something. It has american racing wheels and drag slicks on it, three guesses what it was used for years ago ;). I think it's been sitting since the early 80's or a restoration was attempted in the 80's but they never got anywhere. It was stripped down and the owner previous to the guy I bought it from just let it sit. In fact, there were boxed parts and such (nothing important or useful really) laying in the back seat, the guy never went through any of it!

I promise when I pull it out again I'll take some pics of it and upload. Should I start a new thread for that?

Just set up an account at http://l78camaro.lefora.co, Phil. Thanks for the invite!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts