Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a curious problem. Backed the car into the garage and now it won't come out of reverse.

There has been no indication of any noise from the Muncie 4 Speed.

The shifter seems to be in neutral, but it is still in reverse. I can move the shifter into 1,2,3,4, but car is still in reverse.

I can't put the shifter into reverse.

I don't see anything bent or broken from the underside.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Using a mallet or block of wood knock the linkage back to the neutral gate position. Then double check the shift linkage adjustment. It may be off, or it may be worn which leaves the trans in reverse.

Bob.

·
Registered
571 Posts
To see if it's trans or linkage you know the simple route right?
By yourself put the shifter in neutral. Look under car at left side of tranny where linkages attach and see if both flat bars are straight up and down.
If you have somebody else have them shift while you watch. Straight up and down is neutral. Only one flatbar should move at a time.
To get the linkage right disconnect it where the threaded portion is at the shifter then find neutral and put a drill bit, allen wrench or whatevers thru a hole in the shifter gate shafts that will lock the shifter in neutral. Then adjust till each linkage goes back on the easiest of all.
You can get an idea here. Oh yah, in reverse. Maybe binding. Check the linkage. Compair attachments. Straight up and down is neutral.
http://www.mrgasket.com/hurstpdf/3734531.pdf
http://www.mrgasket.com/hurstcomp.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I didn't know of the "simple route". I will take a look at it this evening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, things now work

Just put the clutch in and pushed the car out of the garage. I let out the clutch to stop the car. The shifter then moved and could go into any gear.

Don't know what happened, but would be interested in finding out what actually when "wrong".

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's probably the shifter linkage. You can tighten it up by using washers as spacers behind the clips that hold the rods to the shifter and the shift forks. Metal bushigs can also be used. The stronger you make the linkage, less slop the better it will feel.
I know that when I raced my 4 speed I had my shifter set just right. Never wanted to miss a gear on a power shift you know!

I miss that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts