Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing a 96 - Z28 6-speed transmission in my 67 SS 396 Camaro.

Will this transmission handle the BB torque?

Which flywheel will I need?

What would be a good rear-end gear ratio to run on the street?

Any unforeseen major problems in doing this? (besides crossmember)

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 6-speed is rated for 450 lbs-ft torque. The trans will have to use the hydraulic clutch linkage and bellhousing with the 6-speed. Read that-modify the firewall and pedal. The shifter also sits farther to the rear.One of the mags did a swap article a couple of months ago. Expect to spend in the area of $3000 to change.
If you put it in, you'll need at least 3.55 gears. The 6th gear ratio is .5:1 My '97 Z 6-speed has 3.45 gears, and runs 1900 rpm at 80 mph.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There's an aftermarket T56 available from Sallee Chevrolet. It doesn't require a hydraulic clutch and goes for 2295. It does require a modified crossmember and shortened driveshaft. Sallee has a great article about installing one of these transmissions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have the 6-speed (I picked it up at a friends garage for $250) and replaced the shift fork. Do you have a cost estimate for a hydraulic clutch and cylinders? I heard there is a kit for this type of upgrade. If so, do you have any information about it? It looks like the shifter will set approximately 4-6 inches further back (where it needs to be anyway). Would a later model console bolt in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Bob There s a very comprehensive article in the "Chevy High Performance" mag Feb 99 that covers this in all of its detail...even lists part #'s & special bracketry that must be made to mount the clutch master cyl. The clutch assy can be had from any chevy dealer under part# 12559912 for $122. You really must get this article. I am planning to do exactly the same thing on my 67 with a sm block. If you cant find it...e-mail me and I will try to get it to you somehow. you need to change or modify ALOT of things... flywheel, clutch disk,hyd clutch assy,starter,speedo
conversion,driveshaft, crossmember,trans mount etc...etc...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have also been looking into this swap, but have not taken it on because I was not sure what all i was getting my self into. If you send out an email please forward it to me. I am trying to compile all the information that I can before I start. Thanks a lot
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts