Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the new repro 67-68 Instrument Housing thinking that it would be better than what I have. Boy was I wrong. The color is fine and the Chrome looks nice, but that's where it ends. Here's the things I noticed. Some I can't figure how to modify to make it work. I'll let you be the judge.

1. The instrument lens doesn't fit correctly. The lens must be snaped into place and still doesn't sit correctly. Once the guages are installed and screwed as snug as I could get without stripping the housing holes, one end still wobbles back and forth front to back. (probably would create a rattle at some point). Also, the lens fits very smoothly into the original guage housing. It doesn't need to snapped into place.

2. The screw holes are a wee bit too large so the screws tend to strip the housing screw holes before the guages are set firmly in place. I am pretty miticulous in this area and I still strip two screw holes.

3. After placing the lens in the housing the chrome rim around the lens is not centered in the housing opening. This looks so bad, I would use a cracked or even broken original before I would put this in my car.

Need to have the one I have refurbished. The problem, these housings are not painted and to spray paint on them would probably ruin it. From previous posts, I know some of you have used Henry in Ohio with great results. Does anyone have other recomendations on who refurbishes these housings?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I refurbed my original, a pic is in this post.
http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/10/3476.html?

I cleaned it with acryliclean 330, superglued a small crack near the bottom, wetsanded with 400, then primed and sprayed with semi-gloss black, same paint I used on the console and will use on the dash itself. Used a new repro lense. The lense is kept tight in the right place by peices of stick on foam, replaced with hardware store weatherstrip. At least on my original, the screws thread into metal things that pop on, not into the plastic itself, do you have those? Finally, I stuck the replacement chrome trim on (not sure how long they gonna stay. It turned out pretty good, and the paint loooks nice.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I think black is the only color that isn’t painted on from the factory. The reds, blues, gold’s, ect. That I’ve seen were originally painted. I was thinking about trying that new plastic paint on one to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Like I've said before, I often wonder what they use for a mold to make some of the repro stuff. Alot of it ain't even close.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim, I do have the metal pieces that snap on for the two lower outer screws. There are three others that screw into the plastic. Two on the housing above the guages and one is in the middle below the guages. Also, when painting, did you use a plastic bonding agent like Bulldog adhesion promoter?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
...pulled it off the shelf and outa da big baggie...same same, metal thingies in lower corners, center and top screws straight into plastic.

I absolutely refuse to admit what I may or may not have used for primer...but having considerable prior experience in cars of the 1:25th scale variety, I may wonder about why people worry excessively about paint sticking to plastic.

For your stripped screws, fill the holes with a liquid glue, something thin enuf to run all the way down, then drill into it.

If I'm remembering right... the lens locates on pins on the guage pod, then those same pins locate on holes in the carrier, right?

***edit...or are the pins on the carrier? I can't rememeber...

Are the pins still there? Do they lock into the holes in the carrier? Are the holes in the right place? Is it just the lens that is off, or the guages too? My repro lens fit perfect in the stock carrier, so I's suspect and accuracy problem with the guide holes in the carrier, allthough clearancing the edges of the lens may help.

How bad is your original carrier?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Stope
I feel your pain. I bought the OER instrument carrier last year. I opened the box, took it out, put it back in the box and sent it back. The worst peice of repo crap I have ever seen. I had mine painted when I had my dash and steering collumn done. Then I painted the inside of each housing a semi flat black to offset the glossier outside paint. They were like that from the factory anyway. I used Rick's chrome trim (P/N CDP-9) on the outside of each housing. I bought a new guage lens and that was that. Came out great. I know you're in 90 bucks or so for the OER housing but you might want to thinking about grabbing one off Ebay and restoring it. In the end, I think you'll be happier.

Here's my restored housing, not the best pic, but you can get an idea...

Camaro Dash

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lens has only one guide pin. The guage carrier has three alignment holes that meet with alignment pins in the housing. One of these three are common to both the lens and carrier.

My housing has a gash under the tack about 2" long. Can't tell if it will be seen or not. I guess I'll try to use some filler, smooth it and go the paint route. I'll repost when finished with some pictures.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just got back from the Puyallup swap meet, there were plenty of 67/68 housings cheap. Probably original is way to go.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put some primer and paint on today. The paint lifted. Not sure I know why but it was rainy when I painted. I'll sand down next weekend and try again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
stope primer and paint, if you talk all the plastic off, you can put it in your oven on about 200 and it will dry it out really nicely. Leave it in there for about 1.5 hours and you should be good to hook

·
Registered
819 Posts
stope
You can try "Adhesion Promoter" prior to painting. It's like a primer for plastic that helps the paint stick to the plastic. One thing though,,,make sure you clean the housing EXTREMELY well. And after you've cleaned it, clean it again. Jim mentioned acryliclean 330 - that's what I used. You can get it in any auto body store. Alot of people used silicon (a.k.a Armour All) on the dash and housing and if it's not cleaned well, you'll never get the paint to adhere or look right.

PS - a great tip for removing paint from plastic -spray it with Easy Off - yup, the over cleaner -and put in a sealed plastic bag. After 24 hours, the paint will come right off with a sponge and water. And oh ya, WEAR GLOVES - don't ask me how I know....

Good Luck!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts